Chapter Twelve

Brantley's POV

I stirred awake as the rain picked up outside coming down in heavy sheets. Guess it was a good thing I had a few days off because would be no way I would be able to fly back out in this storm. I blinked sleepily as I looked down at Charli curled into my side sleeping peacefully. Damn woman. To say she had put me through the emotional ringer the last few months was putting it lightly. Waking up to find her gone that morning had been bad. Then I had found the signed papers making it even worse. I pulled her closer burying my nose in her dark hair with a sigh. I'll be damned if she was getting away again. Slipping my hand off her hip, I smoothed it down her satiny skin to settle my palm over her stomach. I could already tell it was slightly more rounded since the last time I had seen her even though the Colonel had been right on her losing some weight.

If I had to handcuff her to me, I'd make sure she started taking better care of herself. A baby, I thought rubbing my thumb back and forth slowly. Damn, I was half excited and terrified. But there was no one other than Charli I could see having by my side for this. She was right, we had to have been a little in love with each other to pull the stunt we did all those years ago with getting married. Next time we did it, she'd have to pack my stuff too if she left because I would be going with her. I heard a soft sigh slip past Charli's lips before those beautiful brown eyes blinked open looking at me.

"Hey," she whispered looking up at me. I leaned down brushing my lips along hers before pulling back. A disgruntled whimper slipped past her lips when I stopped making me smile. "I need more of those."

"And you'll get them sassy ass," I chuckled rubbing my nose against hers. "After we talk."

"Fine," Charli grumbled burying her face into my neck. "I'm listening."

"Alright," I said rolling my eyes. "First things first, I want you to come home."

"Brantley," Charli said lifting her head and sitting up to look at me. "I don't think...."
"Listen please baby," I said holding a hand up to stop her. "Think about how much we've been in the press the last few months." Charli narrowed her eyes then nodded for me to continue. "When you really start showing its gonna get worse. I can make sure you are protected there or while you are on the road with me. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you and or the baby. That's if you feel comfortable there? Hell, I didn't even ask that did I?"

"B," Charli said rolling her eyes at me. "I love it there. It feels like home. Something I hadn't had in a long time. I love being close to your Mama. And you are right. Daddy will be deploying again next month. He's pissed as hell about that. Going to be even madder when I tell him about the baby and worried he will miss out."

"Soooo....that mean you will come home?" I asked giving her a small smile.

"Yes," she whispered leaning down to kiss me deeply. "I will come home. What are we going to about us B?"

"Take it slow," I murmured pulling my head back to look at her. Charli glared at me as I grinned at her.

"Slow huh?" she muttered shaking her head. "I don't think we know that speed Brantley. Pretty sure we only know one speed and that's wide open when it comes to us."

"Baby, we take it one day at a time," I answered wrapping my arms around her and rolling her over pinning her beneath me. Chari lifted her hand running her nails over my hair as she looked up at me. "We do whatever feels right to us. I can't and won't lose you again. All I want is you to be happy and little one healthy. One of these, I'll get you to take my last name again and dammit to hell you won't be changing it ever again."

"That so," Charli said with a giggle tugging my head down to hers. I nodded and lowered my lips kissing her deeply. "I think I could get used to that. At least I will know it this time."

The End