Chapter Four

Brantley's POV

I sat up slowly pushing my hat off my eyes as I glanced around the cabin of the plane. I wasn't sure how long I had been asleep. I raised my arms stretching with a quiet groan shaking my head to clear the sleep away. I looked around to see Charli curled up asleep with a blanket draped over her and PJ giving me a look as I started to wake up.

"What?" I asked with a sigh. I knew judging by the look on his face he had something to say. I could see the gleam of amusement in his eyes. PJ leaned forward in his seat towards me, so we wouldn't wake Charli.

"That's the same girl that stormed out flipping you off the other night," he said with a wide grin. PJ of all people loved to see me put in my place ninety percent of the time. Especially by my mama. I nodded my head rolling my eyes as his smile got bigger. "I like her already then. Keep you on your toes."

"Man," I grumbled shaking my head. "Look, she won't be sticking around. We'll find out if we are really married, get a divorce, and never see each other again. Did you not see the big rock she is sporting on her left hand? Yea, she's planning to marry someone else."

"Careful Boss," PJ said giving me a wink. "You almost sound a little disappointed and jealous."

"The fuck I do," I growled glaring at him hard. "Single for life man. You know that."

"Yet....." he drawled. "You married a complete stranger in Vegas."

"I was drunk!" I snapped then lowered my voice as Charli sighed in her sleep.

"Whatever you say Boss," PJ chuckled. "Whatever you say. But I know you and there is always a reason for what you do man. Drunk or sober. Just for the record, Mama Becky, she would love her."

A while later, PJ pulled the rented SUV to a stop on the street in front of a little out of the way chapel. I double checked to make sure the address was right. I glanced in the backseat shooting Charli what I hoped was a calm smile as she nodded. I opened the passenger door stepping out onto the sidewalk before turning to open the back door, holding a hand out to help Charli slide out. She looked up meeting my eyes then nodded. Here goes nothing.

Twenty minutes later, we both stumbled out wide eyed, pale, and slack jawed. I swallowed deeply running a shaky hand over my beard. Well, after facing off with a little old lady who was most decidedly more stubborn than I was, losing my temper once, got my ear tugged as she pulled me with in reach and pointing at the record book in the front of her with a long red nail, I was most decidedly actually married to the woman standing beside me. I had heard all of this in a New Jersey accent thicker than my Georgia drawl. It had stated on their records that yes, one Brantley Keith Gilbert and one Charlotte Diana Williams had tied the knot on May 22, 2010. And yep, we had been married by Elvis if you want to just add to the waking up married in Vegas cliché. Charli bent over at the waist gasping for air and all I could do was reach over to gently pat her back as I tried to figure out my next move. I closed my eyes with a groan. Mama was going to skin me a live when she finds out.

"I need a drink," Charli whispered as PJ climbed out walking around to open the door giving us both a knowing look. I swear the fucker was trying not to smile. "I know you can't have one, but I need one."

"Sweetheart," I said heaving out a sigh as we climbed in. "It's the least I can do for the headache we are about to endure. I'm sorry again for not listening. Tell you what, a drink and a steak dinner coming up. Let's get checked into our suite and then you are on."

"Holding you to it BG," Charli grumbled staring out the window as PJ pulled away from the curve headed to our hotel.

A few hours later, I was leaning back in my chair laughing at Charli's story of one of her first clients. She giggled taking a sip of her drink telling me the woman had drug her all over Nashville never being able to find a house she liked. We had gotten checked in and Charli had started to freak out about one room until I explained it was a three room suite. After promising him that we would stay out of trouble, I'd sent him off to relax while I took Charli to the dinner I had promised her. Walking back to the hotel, she had grabbed my arm when she had spotted the bar we had been at that night the street.