Chapter Five

Brantley's POV

I listened to the joking banter between Charli and PJ as we headed to the airport. She and I hadn't said much to each other this morning. Every time I tried, she'd cut me off with a curt nod of her head. PJ had taken to her and had already dubbed her "Sassy Belle". Things had been going smoothly until I got the call from Mike just as we were leaving the hotel that the photos had hit the internet and social media. It hadn't taken too much longer before it surfaced on who she was. Charli had turned pale when I told her then nodded before grabbing her bags. PJ pulled into the airport and we piled out getting our stuff and heading inside. The rental was returned and out of unconscious habit, I kept my palm on the small of Charli's back guiding her through the crowd and trying to keep people from bumping in to her.

We were making our way up the steps of the plane when Charli's phone went off in her hand and she paused to read it. Judging by the look on her face as I stepped even with her, it wasn't good.

"It's out,'' she whispered. "They've figured out we are married."

"We will deal with it," I assured her, but she kept staring at the screen with her eyes watering.

"No," she said shaking her head and biting her lip. "I will have to deal with it. That was Stephen. I've been summoned to my grandmother's as soon as I get back."

"Fuck!" I roared the scared look on her face killing me. I slipped an arm around her guiding her on into the plane then pointing to a chair for her to have a seat. I flopped down next to her with a low growl as she kept staring at her phone gnawing on her bottom lip. "I'm going with you." Charli gasped shaking her head no as hard as she could. I wasn't going to take no for an answer. I reached over laying my hand on her knee, the soft cotton material of her sundress smooth under my hand. "You heard me. It took both of us to get in this situation, so we will deal with the fall out together okay. I may not have done right by you then but dammit I will now."

"Okay," Charli said quietly. She waved a hand at the long black maxi dress she was wearing with a blue jean jacket over it and sandals. "But I have to stop and change first into something a little more presentable."

"Well," I said giving her a smile and shrugging. "I think you look beautiful just the way you are."

Once we landed in Nashville, Charli passed her SUV keys to PJ letting him take it home for her before taking a taxi to where the buses were waiting on us. I told him I would be along as quick as I could. I helped Charli into my truck then followed the directions she had given me to her grandmother's. I was glad to see she had listened when I said I thought there was nothing wrong her outfit. I pulled into the circle drive of the massive white colonial and brick home and even my jaw dropped. I was smart enough to know that it screamed old southern money. Now I guess I understood Charli a little better. She may have come from it, but she didn't want it to rule her. I opened her door then offered her silent support as she walked in the front door. We were greeted by a tall, grey headed man with a kind smile and in a vest, dress shirt, and slacks.

"Ah Miss Charlotte," he said affectionately. "How are you?"

"I've been better Lawrence," Charli said with a tired sigh as I shoved my hands in my jean pockets unsure of what to do. "Where is she?"

"Your grandmother is currently in New York with your aunt," Lawrence said rolling his eyes. "Something about getting head start on wedding gowns and she hadn't been able to reach you. Guess I know why now."

"Yea," Charli drawled making him laugh. She motioned to me. "Lawrence, this is Brantley. B, this is Lawrence my grandmother's long time butler slash assistant. Then why did Stephen tell me to meet him here."