Chapter Seven

Brantley's POV

I settled on my stool for VIP at my last show for a few weeks. I knew I was ready to sleep. I had only gotten a few hours before we'd been back up again to get back on a plane headed to this show. I had almost opted to ride the bus back to Georgia tonight instead of flying. However; I had received a blistering earful from Mama earlier and my presence was demanded at Sunday lunch tomorrow. I had gone to argue and was shut down. I knew better than to argue. Maybe I could nap afterwards. I looked around at the crowd before going through my normal spiel for the night. I almost put the latest news to being off limits, but I decided to say fuck it and embraced it.

"Soooo...." I drawled looking around the room rubbing a hand on my knee. "Yea.... I know y'all have seen the news this week. Yes, I am married. Look, Charli and I both were pretty hammered that night. This happened back during my drinking days. Honestly, we thought it was a prank that had been played on us. But we are figuring it out. So I ask, please respect her if you have any questions tonight? This has been just as big of shock to her as it has me. More so her after what her now ex and mine are stirring up."

I was surprised that nothing else was really asked after that. I went to get ready for the show. I paused out the door and looked at PJ before I walked over to him.

"Where's Charli?" I asked looking around.
"On the bus Boss," he murmured giving me a concerned look.

"She okay?" I asked worried. She had been excited earlier about getting to see a show.

"No,'' PJ sighed, and I automatically turned on a booted foot to head towards the bus. To say that I had grown extremely protective of Charli in the short amount of time she had been in my life was an understatement. It had gotten worse since seeing those videos of her panicked face yesterday. PJ fell in step with me. "She got dizzy after I went back to get her. That's when I got her to admit she's had a bad headache the last few days. She got sick before we could head in here. I got one of the roadies to go get the doc that was around. Bad migraine. Seems she has them from time to time. He was getting her settled when I told her I was coming to get you. I knew you would be looking for her."

"Yea," I said nodding as we headed to the bus. I opened the door climbing on and seeing Charli laying on the couch with her eyes closed. The kind faced doctor turned to look at me.

"I gave her something for the pain and the nausea," he said softly. "She said y'all were flying out later. She's gonna be sleepy. But as long as you keep it as dark and quiet as you can, she will be okay."

"Thanks Doc," I said quietly before turning to walk over to Charli. She was still wearing the leggings and long sleeve shirt she'd put on this morning before we left. At least she would be comfortable. I leaned down scooping her up hearing a soft whimper. I walked to the back of the bus laying her on the bed slowly. Sitting down on the edge of the bed I smoothed her hair away so I could see her face. Her features tightened in pain.

"It hurts so damn bad," she muttered with a wince leaning her head into my hand.

"I can imagine it does darlin," I whispered rubbing a hand on her back. "Why didn't you tell me it was this bad?"

"I don't know," Charli said with a sigh cracking an eye open to look at me. "I thought it would ease. I've had them for years and I can usually handle them with something over the counter. But the lack of sleep and well its been a stressful week."

"That's an understatement," I agreed. "You get you some rest. I'll be back later."

"Okay," she murmured as the medicine started to take effect. I leaned down to place a soft kiss on her forehead before heading back off the bus. I wanted nothing more than to curl up with her to make her feel better, but I had a job to do. I pulled my phone out sending Mama a text asking if we could push getting together until supper tomorrow. I explained what was going on and thankfully she agreed. I knew that woman was itching to tan my hide and giving her longer to stew on it wasn't a good idea, but it couldn't be helped. Throwing my shoulders back, I headed back inside to do my job. I knew PJ would be playing guard dog for Charli.