Chapter 17

I don't do much for the rest of the weekend. Zach hits me up multiple times but I turn him down, not in the mood to do anything. My stomach feels gross from all of the alcohol that I consumed on Friday night, but thankfully I don't throw any of it up. My head throbs all weekend, but that doesn't stop me from going to the beach to play music. I continue to make it without seeing Ben, which is the only good thing that is going for me at the moment. As Sunday comes to an end, I cringe at the thought of having to go to school.

Throughout the week, Ms. Perkins, who I can actually call by her first name now which is Kelly, invites me to her apartment many times. We decide that having sex at school probably isn't the best option, and it's a miracle that we didn't get caught last Friday. Her place is very classy, much nicer than anyone else's house I have been to and filled with all modern furniture and decorations. She always has candles lit and soft music playing in the background. Her bed is extremely comfortable and I have to force myself to leave each night so that I don't fall asleep in her bed.

When it is finally Friday again, she invites me over to her house for dinner. I don't usually do anything with girls other than sleep with them, but I figure I can't just use her since she's my teacher; I need to act somewhat decent, after all, she is in charge of my grades. Ever since we've been hooking up, my geometry grade has actually raised. She hasn't given me an A on anything, not wanting to look too suspicious, but she is passing me on things that she shouldn't. It definitely isn't right, but I could care less.

She makes us both lasagna and we eat it at her nice table. She has what I recognize as a Taylor Swift song playing a little louder than usual. 

"Is it good?" She asks and I snap out of my thoughts.

"It's delicious," I say, not lying about that. Her cooking is excellent.

"Good," she says with a smile. I keep eating, but I notice her continuing to stare at me. I look up at her again. "I'm sorry." She seems embarrassed as I catch her.

"For what?" I ask, even though I know the answer.

"Staring at you," she giggles. "You're just so handsome."

"Thanks," I reply. I don't know what else to say to her, I don't do the sappy shit.

"Luke," she starts again. "There's something I need to tell you."

I really hope that what she is about to say is something like an upcoming test or quiz, but I am wrong.

"I think I'm in love with you," she says quietly.

I almost choke on my food at her words. I try not to laugh. She can't be serious, we have only been doing this for a little over a week. There's no way that she could be in love with me. 

"I'm sorry..." She pauses. "I know that it hasn't even been that long and I'm your teacher, but you just have some effect on me. It makes me feel wonderful, you give me so many butterflies."

I close my eyes, not wanting to say what I am about to say.

"Look, you're a great woman. But you're older than me, I'm only in high school," I laugh. "Plus, I'm not the boyfriend type anyways."

"Oh...Okay," she says sadly. 

"I'm gonna take off, do you want me to help you clean up?" I ask, hoping she says no. 

"No, it's fine. I'll see you on Monday."

"See you then," I say as I make my way to the door. I grab my hat from the hooks next to the front door and place it backwards on my head. I don't look twice before exiting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you excited?"

"Yes!" I smile. I am giddy, bouncing up and down on the seat. "I just wish my brothers could have come," I say sadly.

"I know, Luke. They just don't like this stuff anymore. You'll know once you get older, too."

"How could I ever not like the Lion King?" That's such a stupid thing to say, that is my all time favorite movie, which is why my parents are taking me to see the live version. "I just hope it's better than that play at Jack's school."

Both of my parents burst into laughter at my words. I can't help but laugh too, even though I'm not sure what is so funny; that show was horrible. Suddenly, I am almost blinded by two bright lights coming towards my face. I look up to my mom and see her mouth the words "I love you" before everything diminishes in front of me, slowly fading away into the light.