27 - Current

In which, to Sans's disgust, morning begins before sunrise.

Sans

This "Valentine's Day" thing is gonna be the end of me, I swear.

It's mainly a couples thing, that much is obvious, but Paps recently informed me that people who care about each other in other ways also give each other "valentines." He's been working on valentines for me an' Checkers for, like, a week. He won't tell us what they are but couldn't keep his mouth shut about the fact he had plans. His bosses and coworkers are getting some too, apparently, and he's so excited it's kinda scary.

So what do I do?

I've now got an obligation to get a valentine or some kind of gift for my brother, and that means I've gotta get one for Checkers, too, or she might feel left out, and that means I need to survive the minefield that is buying a love-themed thing for the friend I'm in love with without cluing her in to the fact that I love her in a definitely more-than-friendly way.

Startin' to freak out a little, there, Sansy. Okay, cool it down. Valentine's Day isn't for another week.

One minefield at a time.

I train the pocket telescope on the rooftop of the office supply store across from the tall, dense hedge I've designated as the drop spot. The hedge runs around the front of one of the larger houses in town and butts up against a high wooden fence at the back. We're on the outskirts of town, me and the guy I'm lookin' at, and while I watch him, he watches the hedge and occasionally scans the surrounding area, looking for me. There's another couple in a car around the side of the house, and one inside the shop, though with the lights off I can only see him if he's close to the window and if he moves. That's four pairs of eyes I've gotta avoid.

It's late, it's dark, it's fucking cold, and the file I'm waiting for a chance to grab is in danger of getting snowed on.

Checkers would flip if she knew what I've been doing recently. Don't know if she'd try to stop me or if she'd want to help, but either way, I figure it's best not to tell her. She thinks I'm in the basement right now, building stuff. She doesn't like to disturb me when I'm science-ing.

You're a fucking liar, Sans Snowdin.

And Checkers deserves better.

Okay, lemme back up.

Remember when that little human girl went to the hospital after being hurt by magic? One of her monster schoolmates got too rough, and reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they were playing and being reckless. But of course there's no way to tell for sure since the whole thing has been twisted and blown so far out of proportion it's starting to seem to me like one of those unidentifiable balloon "animals" Paps and I saw at that fair last summer, and I want nothing more than to pop the fucker in the most dramatic way possible.

Our small-town elementary school has no security cameras, so there's no footage of what happened. The only lasting evidence of the incident is the girl's medical records. Now, breaking into small businesses is one thing, but breaking into a hospital? Heh, good luck. There're cameras all over the place and, maybe worse, hospitals never sleep. The Medical Records people and cafeteria folks and some other groups go home for the day, but the halls are full of nurses and doctors and techs 24-7, and there's no way I could access an internal computer without getting caught. With no way to get those records all by myself, I had to enlist help.

By that, I mean I followed some doctors, techs, nurses, janitors, and last but not least the girl's parents around until I finally found a different kind of evidence: I got some pictures of the girl's mom meeting a secret lover at a seedy motel. (He was wearing a leather mask and short shorts, carrying a whip, and was about three hundred pounds. I was sorta impressed, in an "Oh my god what the hell?" kinda way.) Since the kid's a minor, her mom's in charge of making her treatment decisions and has access to all her medical records if she wants them. After a short telephone conversation, she decided she really, really wanted them.