I mean he truly looked at me. Engulfing me with that fiery gaze that sets my soul on fire every time. And I knew I was done for.

My life barely even started and I was falling in love with a man who wasn't my fiancé, the Crown Prince, and a person who I barely knew.

I pressed my back against the tree; desperate for something to steady me, my heart pounding in my chest. And he reached out to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear that had come undone. And I, unconsciously, leaned into his hand. It was smooth, and cool against my heated skin.

My eyes never leaving his, I reached up and grasped his larger hand in my much smaller one and brought it to my lips and kissed his palm. I saw something shift in his gaze at that moment, and I knew it was taking all of his self-control not to have me under the protection of the trees.

"It's alright." My voice was a hum, low and throaty as I uttered those two words, so completely enraptured by him. He understood, I could see the relief in his eyes. As he leaned in to kiss me, moving his hand to cradle the side of my face and, to his and my dismay, the Crown Prince decided to come find us. "Gaetho! Darling, we need to end the night with a dance!" Demetri called out into the darkness, his accent thick in his voice. He was getting closer. And so was Damarion. Almost immediately before Demetri found us Damarion kissed me. A chaste kiss, but my heart stopped all the same in that moment, his lips were as soft as I had imagined them to be.

"There you two are! I haven't seen either of you in a while!" Demetri said, oblivious to the sexual tension now surrounding us; we murmured "My prince." and I curtsied while staring at the ground, still in shock. "Come now Gaetho we must dance, my mother requests it." He said and offered me his arm. "If... If the queen requests it then... it must be so." I said as I looked up, choosing my words carefully, unsure if I could speak properly. "Are you alright, my dear?" Demetri questioned, "Just tired and a little faint." I replied, which was only half a lie.

I could feel his eyes on me still- those eyes that held a thousand words, and I glanced over and took him in. The shadows bathed his face in an eerily beautiful glow; his lips held a small smirk, and I could see in his eyes he was amused. As quickly as I had looked at him I looked back at Demetri, as he was turning around saying something about asking his mother if she would rethink her request. "Are you two coming or must you stay in the shadows all night in the forest?" He questioned. I tilted my head forwards suggesting that we go. Damarion nodded, so I called out to answer the Princes question that we would be coming. Damarion's hand brushed against mine and I felt a fire start to spread from just his touch.

He chuckled after a moment, and I felt a blush spread on my cheeks, and I looked away, even as his eyes bore into me, imploring me to speak, to do anything that related to him.

The Queen had come back outside with a goblet of wine in her small hand. Watching our interaction. My blushing did not help the scowl that grew on her face. Her pale white face. She had been beautiful once, but now her age was catching up with her. With platinum blonde hair and electric blue eyes, she was eighty-nine and as regal as ever, she was planning to pass on the Crown to Demetri next year.

We reached her and Demetri introduced Damarion, momentarily forgetting Damarion's place in the Astaporian court. "I know who he is. He should not be here. He should not be with her." She shot a glare at her son before continuing, "Their fates are intertwined. I will tell you later Demetri. Go inside, find Fredrick, tell him it's time they go."

Alarm shot across my face but as quick as it was there it had disappeared. "My Queen, I do not wish to overstep-" I was cut off as soon as I said that word, "Then say nothing. And go home child." Her voice was as harsh as the scowl on her face, her eyes like hot coals. "As you wish." I curtsied and hurried inside to find my family. I felt his eyes on my back, burning holes straight into my soul.

Many women congratulated me on being engaged to the Crown Prince and I thanked them for their support. I could not find my family, so Damarion showing up behind me and guiding me through the crowd, his hand resting lightly on my elbow, did not surprise me one bit. "Do you know where they are?" I asked him. "Yes." His voice sounded pained and tense, I wanted to ask him what was wrong but before I could even get the words formed my family had seen me. "Have a nice night Miss. Veleris. We should not have kissed; it was a mistake." Pain was in his eyes, laced into his words, and I felt like the world had shattered around me. My fantasy was over.

He left me speechless there. Standing in the great hall of the palace, my family pulling me along to the carriages. Watching his broad shoulders disappear back into the crowds, my heart was breaking for a man whom I knew I could never love or have. But I yearned for his touch and his voice and the way his eyes bore into me. And the way his eyes would be the only thing showing emotion on an otherwise impassive face, that looked as if it had been chiseled out of marble.