Chapter 12: Empaths

Author's note: Sorry for the long wait! Here it is though! Really intense chapter. It was alot of fun to write. Please let me know what you think of it. 😊 On with the story!

---------------------------------------------

I woke to someone softly shaking me awake.

"Renae? We're at the destination." I heard Steve say as he shook me. I yawned and stretched, then I got up and followed Steve out. Mando bounded up beside me as happy as ever. I looked around me as my mind groggily began to process things. It looked like an old military camp. Steve gazed around the camp his eyes slightly glazed over as if remembering something. Natasha and Steve started talking and walking unto the camp. I started to follow when I suddenly realized that Mando wasn't there.

"Mando?!" I called worriedly.

Steve and Natasha stopped when they heard me call for him.

"Go ahead guys. He probably just ran to the woods to go potty. I'll catch up with you." I said waving them inside.

They seemed hesitant but they finally went in. I whistled again and I heard nothing. Once more I called for him and I heard a faint barking in the distance. I walked a good ways when I noticed it starting to get dark outside. I clutched my satchel close to me and put my gun in my hand. I was not feeling comfortable with this situation. I whistled again and started to call softly "Here Mando! Come here boy!"

I heard a soft bark and headed towards the sound.

"Mando! Where are ya buddy?" I called then a hand clamped over my mouth and a deep gravely voice said

"Move and your dead."

---------------------------------------------

With Steve and Natasha.

---------------------------------------------

The old, dusty computer began to whir to life. A face appeared on the screen.

"Rogers, Steven." It said. "Born 1918."

The camera on the top of the screen slowly turned to Natasha.

"Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born 1984."

"It sounds like a recording." Natasha commented.

"I am not a recording fräulein." The computer said ominously.

Steve's eyes widened in realization as the computer described who he was to the Captain so long ago.

"You know this guy?" Natasha asked disbelieving.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked with Red Skull." Steve said starting to walk around "He's been dead for years."

"First correction." The computer Zola stated. "I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive."

Natasha and Steve began to observe their surroundings as Zola continued to speak.

"In 1972 I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body. My mind, however...that was worth saving. 100,000 ft of data banks , you are standing in my brain."

"How did you get here?" Steve asked.

"I got invited." Zola replied smugly.

Natasha's eyes flitted back and forth as she processed this "After World War Two S.H.I.E.L.D recruited German scientists with strategic value."

"They thought I could help the cause." Zola responded.

"Hydra died with Red Skull." Steve stated firmly.