Chapter 1: Meet The Captain

Chapter 1:

"Agent Genoa. Director Fury wants you." Came the staticky voice of Maria Hill over my pager.

I sighed and answered

"Tell him I'll be there in a minute."

"Roger that. Don't keep him waiting too long. Hill, over and out." She answered.

I've been working at SHIELD for four years now. I took the class on Criminal Psychology and passed with flying colors. It was not as difficult as I originally thought. It had interested me more than anything else. After I passed the class I was introduced to Director Nick Fury. As funny as it may seem he took me under his wing, with my dad passing away in my early teen years I didn't really have a male role model in my life. He showed me the ropes so to speak. He made time for me and taught me just about everything I know about self defense. At first I was confused as to why i was learning self defense as a Psychologist but he had said that if Im going to work in such close contact with criminals I was going to have to learn self defense if one of them tried any funny business. At first he seemed cold hearted to me, but I broke through to him. He guards himself from getting attached to people. I suppose with his job it's almost a necessity. When I had asked him why he shut himself off to people all the time he had answered with "The last time I trusted someone I lost an eye."

I guess that wasn't enough to stop him from letting me in. We grew close and with that came certain responsibilities to me. He gave me tougher criminals to counsel and a higher rank as a psychologist and a few unprecedented things. He took me with him to places in SHIELD that a very select few high up officials were allowed to go. There he showed me many of SHIELDS wonders...and a few horrors. He showed me the tessaract. It was the most beautifully horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life. He didn't understand why I was so concerned about SHIELD using it. It reeked of uncontrolled power and chaos. He had insisted that SHIELD could control it, when I knew they couldn't. We got into a fight that day. I knew it was risky to argue with a Director of such a powerful agency but I felt that it was at least my duty to warn him as a friend and for the well being of the nation. We fought and he locked me in my apartment at the SHIELD headquarters and placed me under "house arrest for disrespect to a higher ranking officer." That night Loki stole the tessaract. Director Fury and I most certainly have our differences but after the whole Loki trying to take over the world fiasco he listens to me a bit more readily.

I marched down the hallways of the SHIELD Capitol in DC towards Director Fury's office. I knocked on the door and heard a "Come in!" From Nick Fury. As I stepped in, the door closed behind me and I saw a very angry Steve Rogers and Director Fury arguing with each other. They both stopped arguing and looked at me as I walked in.

"I was told you wanted to see me Director?" I asked politely.

"Yes Agent Genoa I did. Meet Steve Rogers AKA Captain America." He said raising his hand towards Steve.

I walked over and shook Steve's hand

"Pleasure to meet you Captain."

"Pleasure to meet you too ma'am." He responded though he seemed a little distracted at the moment with Nick Fury.

"Agent Genoa? Can you stand here by me please?" Fury asked motioning beside him.

I looked puzzled but responded with

"Yes sir." And moved to stand beside him.

Nick turned back to Captain America "Look. I didnt want you doing anything you werent comfortable with. Agent Romanov is comfortable with everything."

Steve leaned forward

"I can't lead a mission when other agents are leading missions of their own."

Fury responded without batting an eye

"It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all."

Steve smiled sardonically

"Except you."

Nick Fury looked down and straightened up

"Your wrong about me. I do share." He motioned to me.

"You might find a kindred spirit in Renae here. She questioned my orders on the tessaract. Turns out she had been right and I was wrong. You both like to know the whole story. So I'll share. I'm nice like that."