Can't Help That I Love You

Kai smiled faintly as she watched her bestfriend Josiah kiss another woman.
She bit her lip and looked down; feeling the tears about to well up. She was happy for him. He has been her bestfriend ever since they were kids and she couldn't ask for another.
But, she also couldn't help that she was deeply in love with him. And she hated that he was about to marry another woman.
Excusing herself from the table, Kai quickly walked outside into the June air. Tears cascaded down her face as she caught to control them and her emotions.
Hearing the door open, Kai tried to wipe her face and suck up her tears as fast as they were falling. Sniffling, she turned around and saw a concerned Maya staring deeply at her.
"Kai....are you ok?" Maya asked. Maya thought Kai was to gorgeous to cry. And she was. Kai's brown skin, naturally curly hair, and her smile always drew people to her. So, for Maya to see her this torn really bothered her.
"Y-yeah. I'm fine." Kai spoke.
Maya didn't believe her. In fact, she knew why Kai was crying. And she knew that Kai couldn't keep her love for Josiah suppressed as she was trying too.
"Kai...you gotta tell him." Maya spoke. Feeling her lip tremble, Kai closed her eyes and let her heart betray her mind.
Maya pulled Kai into a hug as Kai cried. Rubbing her back, Maya began to say a prayer for Kai outloud which made her cry even harder.
Kai had prayed numerous times over this situation. But, something about Maya's pure prayer made Kai feel something different.
Once she had calmed down enough to go back inside, Maya left Kai alone for a few minutes.
In that time, Kai prayed for God to help her as she had to do the hardest thing she ever had to face.
Coming back inside, she could feel Josiah watching her. Meeting his gaze he gave her an arched eyebrow, which she returned with a smile.
Sitting down beside Maya, she squeezed her friends hand, giving her a smile of thanks.
The party continued and everyone smiled at the bride and groom to be. Kai looked at Josiah and his fiancée Ava. She could tell that he loved her. And she him.
As the party continued, Kai got up and went into the kitchen to get a drink of water. She leaned against the counter and exhaled as she took a sip of water.
Hearing footsteps behind her, Kai knew exactly who it was.
"Kai, you good?" Josiah spoke as he looked at his best friend who had her back facing him.
Turning around, Kai looked at him. Josiah was fine. His carmel skin was smooth. His beard was groomed perfectly and his dark eyes always had a certain gleam in them. His build was nice, and his hair in waves made him look handsome.
Kai looked down before looking at him again. "Josiah...I'm not ok." Kai spoke.
Stepping towards her, Josiah's face was laced with concern. "What's wrong Kaienne?" He spoke calling her by her full name.
"Josiah...I-I um," Kai began. She could feel the lump in her throat form again and she looked down. "Josiah, I love you."
Josiah smiled. "Kai I love you too."
Kai's shook her head no. "No, Siah. You don't get it. I'm in love with you. I have been since you kissed me senior night at prom. I have tried to suppress my feelings for you, but they just won't budge. I hate myself for doing this to our friendship, and I don't want you to hate me. I'm not saying this to ruin you and Ava. I want you to be happy. I'm telling you this because I can't hide it anymore. And I'm telling you this to tell you that I can't be in your wedding because of it." Kai admitted. She let her tears fall and watched as Josiah looked firmly at her.
"Kai...I'm- I'm sorry." Josiah spoke. He was sorry. Sorry that she had been keeping that in. And sorry that he didn't love her the way she loved him.
"No..don't be. I'm sorry. I wish you and Ava the best. And blessings to your marriage." Kai wiped her eyes. "I-I'm gonna go."
Kai tried to move past him but he grabbed her arm, making her look at him. "Kai don't go. We can fix this. I can fix this."
"Josiah, you can't fix it. Only time can. Give me time Siah, and I'll be back." Kai spoke as searched his eyes.
Biting his lip, Josiah let Kai's arm go. He watched as she walked into the kitchen and grabbed her things. He followed her outside the door and made sure she was safe before she drove away.