11. Take Care

Night had fallen fast since I lost track of time, staring at the horizon. And so the next thing I knew, the sun had already set.

Other than the darkness and myself, all that seemed to exist was the chilly wind. I could feel the hairs on my arm raise and small bumps tingling all over my skin. I was wearing a thin shirt and it was definitely not helping me fight the cold. How I wished I brought a jacket with me. I huddled and leaned on a large trunk, tucking my knees close to my chest.

And I was also fucking starving.

I was almost tempted to go back to the village yet my ego was forcing me not to. I began to shiver from the cold, teeth gritting and fingers trembling.

"Maya?"

I turned around once the voices became nearer.

"Maya? Where the hell are you?"

"Maya? Maya!"

If they continued to make that much noise, I swear the bears are gonna come out again. I slowly got on my feet and went to the nearest path, waiting for them to reach here.

As soon as I recognized that it was Newt and Thomas, I dashed then jumped infront of Newt's arms, sending the both of us to the cold ground, relieved to see them.

"Fuck. I thought it was a squirrel." Thomas said worriedly.

"Maya what the fuck?" Newt scolded after I detached from him, "Why did you suddenly run away? We've been searching for you since this morning." He got back on his feet and helped me up as well.

I didn't respond since I was still bothered by the cold and my throat still burned from all those screaming. Thomas took off his jacket and draped it around my shoulder. "We need to return to the village. Out here isn't safe."

"Yeah, that's exactly why I shucking asked why she came here," Newt snarled, looking back at me, "Care to explain?"

"Not now, man." Thomas held his shoulder. "We have to return now. They're probably worried sick."

Newt carried me on his back on our way home. I rested my cheek on his shoulder and listened to the loud howlings of the evening breeze. None of us uttered a word. I leaned closer to his ear, wanting to tell him something but unfortunately, exhaustion got to me first.

~

I woke up a few hours later on my bed in the guild house. My wrists were already wrapped with plasters and a thick blanket was draped over me. The door was wide open and when Finn took a peek and noticed I was awake, he left and went downstairs. Later, more footsteps could be heard ascending the stairs and heading towards my room. I sat up since I could hear them whispering and bickering outside my door.

"What should I say?"
"I don't know. That's your daughter."
"Beau you're not helping."
"Just imagine you're dealing with an angry mouse. Then hand her a celery or something."
"What the fuck?"
"I think she can hear us."
"Finn, I swear, one more word and I-"

"I can hear you!" I rasped and they instantly fell quiet. Papa reluctantly peered through the door before making his way in. He was trying his best to avoid eye contact. He sat beside my bed and cleared his throat.

"So uugh, (Y/N)," He began, "I'm sorry. I was mad, but never once did I blame you for your mom's death."

"I know you only see me as a burden."

"No, no." He shook his head. "I never wanted you to feel that."

"I'm, I'm sickly. I don't know how to fight for myself; I understand why you gave me up."