Chapter 4

A couple of things before you start reading.

1. The new and offial postexistence cover has been made by the incredible My_Darkest_Angel. I love it so much! She has been dedicated for being so friken talented! Also, the side cover was made by the equally amazing AspynRose, whose covers were really good as well :D

2. I really dont like this chapter. Ugh. I don't know, I just don't like it. It's short and not my best work. BAH :( If you spot any errors, let me know.

3. Please don't be a silent reader. I love to hear what you guys think so, please dont hesitate to let me know! And I love talking to people on here, so message me or chat me up! And DreamerFife, Autumn, I'm sorry for not responding to you! My internet has been wonky again :/

Without further ado, I present to you chapter 4! Enjoy! And dont forget to vote/comment :D

~Emi

Chapter 4

Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go.  ~Author Unknown

                “Just a few more steps, Aria, you’re almost done. You’re doing great,” coaxed Jennifer, my physical therapist.

                My wheelchair lay at one end of the room. Dr. Molton and Dr. Pierce stood at the other end of the railing, grinning like proud parents. Me? I stood in the middle, legs shaking from the exertion I had been putting them through. After years of inactivity, they were finally getting some use and it seemed they didn’t like it too much.

                Hands braced against both sides of the rail, I slowly pulled my right leg forward, and then left.

                Right.

                Left.

                Right.

                Left.

                My body propelled forward, responding to each direction my head gave. It felt great to be finally moving again, to control my own body, rather than wheels on a chair. A grin formed on my face, three quarters of the rail gone already.

                Suddenly, my vision blurred as my hand missed the rail, knocking my carefully calculated rhythm off time, causing me to fall. I flailed my arms, attempting to save my delicate body to no avail. Hitting the floor with a bang, I omitted a loud groan, disappointed in myself.

                I was so close, the taste of victory in my mouth, although I couldn’t quite bite it. Mere inches were left on the course, but still I failed.

                Commotion erupted around me. Arms grabbed my shoulders, hoisting me back up onto my feet. I glanced over to see Erik, Dr. Molson, holding me steady, preventing more failure. I smiled sadly at him, tears threatening to spill over at any second. He frowned back.

                “Why are you sad? You’ve accomplished so much today, so much this week it’s astonishing! We never expected so much progress in so little time. You should be celebrating! We’re this much closer to getting you to walk! That’s huge!” He turned me around, staring directly into my eyes. I could sense his enthusiasm, although I couldn’t muster up any of my own. Instead, I turned my head, ashamed of myself.

                “He’s right you know,” piped up Calvin, Dr. Pierce, walking around to look at me dead on. His warm brown eyes usually relaxed me, but today they just made me sadder. “You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve done a great deal of work. You should be proud. We all are.”