XV

《· of forgotten roots ·》

~°~

Bracing for the impact, Olivia thrust her hand out. She waited, straining her fingers, wincing prematurely for the somewhat fluttery reaction. Yet for a third time, nothing happened.

Sighing, she drew in another breath and restarted, focusing on the fluttering surge. She imagined it trickling down the veins of her arm as it had before. Imagined it flooding into her palm, waiting to burst. With more grunt, Olivia threw her hand forward—fingers stretching—anticipating the appearance of another circle of golden glitters.

However, her palm remained empty, and the field dark as ever.

"Oh, for goodness' sake," the maiden muttered, glaring at her hand as if it was to blame.

For the time being, yes, it was the one to blame. It had already released a burst of energy, but when Olivia wished to do it of her own will, it suddenly didn't want to cooperate? How bothersome.

The maiden knew it wasn't a figment of her imagination, nor was it someone else's doing. It was her that threw the priest and Marcus back. She felt the same flutters twice, and yet it made no sense. How had she suddenly manifested such a fickle ability?

"My, darling. You're neither human as well."

Wasn't she? She acted human, looked human, lived human, felt human. Olivia frowned thoughtfully. If she wasn't, then. . . what was she?

A chilly breath brushed her naked skin. It made Olivia shudder, and she quickly crossed her arms to conserve the leaking warmth. Her gaze soon drifted up. She yearned for Blue Eyes' timely return, longing for his blue brilliance in the near distance. She awaited so, but once again, hope had laden her with the same disappointment in the twinkle of stars.

Sighing in defeat, the maiden eventually rose to her feet, swiftly tugging the shirt down. She couldn't stay as a sitting duck with the possibility of Blue Eyes' return lessening by the minute. And she would rather not take her odds of someone—a man in particular—stumbling upon her in such a crude state. The risk was far too high.

Though, considering the maiden had never ventured beyond Limroy, save for her trip to the imperial capital, Olivia hadn't the faintest clue where to go.

A dense forest secluded the village, so it startled most folk when discovering a quaint town dwelling in the forest next to Odsain's Peak. It was rather odd given the vast amount of wayfarers wandering onward for the imperial capital.

One would've thought Limroy would be one of the most well-known establishments next to the noble territory. Dare Olivia say, one of the wealthiest?

Regardless, the maiden picked an aimless route and ventured forth. She could only hope civilization was near. And while she ventured her aimless route, her thoughts graciously kept her occupied, though it was the company she'd rather eschew; it'd only spur the ridiculous assumptions to satisfy her hollowing concern.