IX

《· of blistering fires ·》

~°~

"Oh?" the male inquired, licking the corner of her ear.

He kept her wrists in a painfully tight embrace, pressing her hands against the very bone of her lower back. A raw shiver of disgust burned against the skin he touched; the very fibres of her body rejected the slightest touch of another man.

Without warning, the male plunged his mouth into her neck, sucking on the skin like a newborn infant of insatiable greed. Tears sprung into her eyes and Olivia let out a strangled whimper.

"Hush, darling. Indulge me with your silence."

Her wrists fell numb. His gelid body drained the warmth from hers, forcing the maiden to succumb to a void of cold nothings. Unimaginable shivers crawled along her skin as if her body was writhing with spiders. Naked.

The stench of blood reeked off the male, ensnaring her sense with delusions that it was her own. Her body involuntarily jerked at the overwhelming chills antagonizing the bones of her body. With the unnatural strength of the male, there was not a needle of doubt in her mind; he was the monster she feared as a child. And it terrified her.

But she was far too daring to be recreant.

The male forcibly pressed her pelvis against his, which released a groan against her neck. Olivia winced at yet another involuntary jerk. She, body, mind, and soul, abhorred the assault and shall be damned to capitulate so easily.

If he was indeed a monster from her childhood nightmares, then surely she could identify his species and find a weakness.

The monster lapped sickly at her neck, grazing the skin with his fangs. His free hand dishevelled her hair and yanked on the roots. Olivia clenched her jaw. The chilly wind drifted across the skin of her fully exposed neck. A soft hiss whispered to her ears as the male moved further south.

A lone tear trickled down her cheek. F-Focus.

Her logic rattled for clues. The monster was as cold as ice with the fangs of a snake. Red eyes that glowed, and was lightning fast. However, no scales or wings ruled him out as a dragon shifter.

The male abruptly inhaled her skin deeply and hissed almost inaudibly. Olivia bitterly gritted her teeth as she concluded what the vile brute was. If he is, then this will undoubtedly hurt him more than me.

Squeezing her eyes shut, Olivia took a deep inhale herself and released the pent-up air in a loud, blood-curdling scream.

The incredibly high-pitched sound pierced the eardrums of the vampire. Throwing her away, he snatched himself back with a wail and Olivia staggered on her heels. However, she was swift to regain her balance.