XIV

《· of primordial craving ·》

~°~

The shifter tilted his head, listening in to the exchange within the cottage with a frisky tail.

". . .f it wasn't for your reckless actions, we'd have slain the demon. It's because of your wrongdoing they both escaped," scolded a male. "You are coming to be just as dreadful as that whore of a sister."

Rykal stiffened when he recognised the voice. It belonged to the same male who tossed the vulgar word out from the cover of the rabble.

A prickle of malice grated against the shifter's burning skin. His tail curled tightly, encouraging black claws to elongate from his nails. With a cocked head, Rykal contemplated; if the male suddenly vanished, would the sister care?

"Do not associate my sister with that word, Marcus. She still possesses her virtue," the sister countered with a sharp tongue.

"I wouldn't speak so soon. Her vast number of suitors could suggest otherwise."

Rykal's eyes bulged barbarically, reacting to the tensing muscles making crumbs of the wood. A shiver crawled through his body, but all he did was stare forward, hardly feeling the black scales mounting over his original ones.

The voice purred seductively, enticing the beast. Him first. Squeeze him dry!

"And she isn't even your sister by blood," the male scoffed in disdain, a clatter following. "Honestly, Audrey, she is the reason we have lost our son. Your persistent stress over her time in coma has been a blessing! A relief to the good men of our town!" Another, sharper clatter. "Yet, you burden yourself with her stupidity and look where it has got us. You cannot even bear another child!"

"And do you suppose beating me will help the cause?"

The unforgivable sound of skin slapping on skin reverberated sharply down Rykal's sensitive ears. His tail thumped excitedly. Never mind the village, he'd take unmitigated pleasure in dismembering the male, slowly. And hearing a gentle sob aroused such impulsive means.

"My sweet Audrey," the male sighed later. "Why must you behave like a child and disrespect me? Where has that diligent wife I love gone?"

"T-This is not love," the sister spat weakly.

Her defiant tone stretched a malevolent grin across Rykal's mouth. He became taut, swaying on all fours—a predator's ardour to pounce on its prey. Serrated talons buried into the wood, which crackled warmly down his ears. All as the purrs in his head antagonised the beast's exhilaration.

A heavy, ominous presence shoved past his abandoned forbearance; the primaeval need to rampage, to feast, to burn. No beast could resist the appeal.