Epilogue: Her Knight

Four Months Later

The sun shone through the window, blinding the young blonde as she slept. She groaned and sat up, rubbing her eyes sleepily upon being awoken.

Soul towered over her, scowling.

"What?" she mumbled, sitting up. "What is it?"

"You were supposed to get up and make breakfast this morning. It's already 11:20!" He pointed to the clock sitting on her desk angrily.

"Sorry." Maka chuckled and climbed out of bed, yawning. Soul's eyes travelled to her exposed leg, immediately rushing over to it in worry.

A black mark started from her heel to her knee, the color blending into the skin, making a bruise-like appearance.

"Are you sure this doesn't hurt?" he questioned, looking up to her slightly pink face.

"I'm sure, Soul. I even forget it's there sometimes."

"Which means it's affecting your brain?!" he asked, jumping up to her height again. He grabbed her head and began checking around the skin.

"Yes, because you'd be able to see a wounded brain from the outside," Maka scoffed sarcastically. She walked out of the room, ignoring Soul's pestering questions.

Every morning, it was the same. She'd wake up, Soul would see something to get himself all worked up with worry, and then she'd convince him to calm down. It'd been four months and nothing besides the mark and the nightmares had showed up. She kept telling him she'd make sure to let him know if anything happened, but he was persistent.

"Soul, if you don't sit down and be quiet, i'm not making you any food." Maka pointed her spatula at him angrily as she got down a bowl and a pan to set on the stove. "I'm making pancakes."

Soul hesitated before doing as she said, plopping down in his seat quietly.

The two of them ate breakfast silently, enjoying their Summer Break nicely. They got showered, dressed, and cleaned up before speaking again.

"What are we doing today?" Maka asked, pulling on the old sweater Soul had given her recently. He ran his fingers through his loose, wet white hair in thought before shrugging.

"I have no idea. I'm pretty sure everyone went to the beach."

"Ugh..." Maka groaned, throwing herself onto the couch, keeping her hands in the pockets of the sweater. "I want to do something inside today."

"That's not like you." Soul lifted her head so he could sit down, placing her head onto his lap as he flipped on the TV. "Wanna go check to see if there are any movies we should watch?"

"Nah." Maka shook her head slightly, Soul immediately trying not to squirm in discomfort. "What do you want to watch?"

"Maybe a comedy..."

They flipped through each channel until Soul just left it on an old cartoon. He chuckled, earning a slight look from Maka, her green eyes peeking at him out from her blonde bangs. She sat up suddenly, throwing her arms onto the couch to keep balance.

"Can you tie my hair back?" she asked, holding out a hairband. He nodded, taking it from her and pulling the long locks back.

"It's growing to be pretty long. Aren't you going to cut it?"

"I like it long." She shrugged. Soul hummed slightly in response, finishing the ponytail.

Maka yawned and curled up against him. Her fingers barely reached past the ends of the sleeves, so she kept her hands close to her, pulling her knees onto the couch. They watched TV for a while until Maka fell asleep, her bangs hanging loosely across her face. Soul sighed and scooped her up, carrying her to her bed.

He was about to turn off the light and leave when he caught sight of the open notebook on her desk.

At first glance, it looked like a regular school notebook, but when he got closer, he noticed doodles on it. He picked it up, sitting down on the computer chair.

A symbol like the one on his old headband was drawn into a t-shirt drawing. It was shaded surprisingly well...to the point he didn't think she could have drawn it. He turned to the page before it, finding a page filled with drawings of creatures with their mouths open, rows upon rows of teeth shining in threat. Each one was different, but possibly even more twisted each time.

In the center of the page was a single.word: Nightmares.

Soul flipped to the one before it, finding a similar one with the same words with different drawings. It continued that way until probably the beginning. At page fifteen, it became simple math problems, an occasional doodle of Soul along the edge.

"Mmm..." Maka groaned in her sleep, rolling onto her side. Soul closed the notebook and set it down as the blonde began to mumble. "Blood...Medu..." She gulped and tossed onto her other side, her back facing towards him.

"Maka?" Soul asked, stepping over to her. He placed a hand on her shoulder and she woke up suddenly, her eyes wide. She smiled in relief and greeting when she noticed him.

"Hey...again." She sat up and stretched. "Did I sleep through breakfast again?"

"No. You've probably only been asleep for about ten minutes."

"What's wrong then?"

"You were mumbling in your sleep again."

"Oh...Sorry." Maka stood up again and walked out of her room. "So, do you want to go to the beach? It could be fun."

Soul shrugged, noticing her sudden change in subject. He walked over to her and looked down into her green eyes, holding back to urge to pester her again.

"You okay?" she asked, her eyebrows raised in curiosity.

"Uhmm..." He shook his head. They stayed that way for a moment before Maka poked his nose, smiling.

"Stop worrying. I'm fine." With that, she spun on her heel and swung open the door. Before she could slip on her flip flops, Soul grabbed her arm, pulling her into his arms.

"Y-you're right."

"Huh?" Maka asked, trying to look up at him, but he rested his chin on top of her head. He kept his arms around her, holding her close.

"I do worry... I...um...saw your notebook."

Maka stiffened and didn't respond.

"Tell me next time, okay?" He pulled her back, his hands on her shoulders. He bent down and kissed her gently, pulling back before she could hit him. Except, she didn't.

Maka's face turned a bright shade of red as she placed her hands over her face. "S-Stupid!" She darted ran out of the house after she slipped on her shoes. Soul chuckled and followed her, watching as she slowed down across the street. She looked over her shoulder, her cheeks still a flaming pink.

                        The End