Chapter 9: Searching

A/N: I am so sorry for the late update. I've been on and off with moments of existential crises. It gets a bit overwhelming. Haha... Anyway, I have found a moment of joy and have decided to spend it writing. Love you guys! Hope this chapter is enjoyable. :)

*************************************

Maka couldn't focus as she stumbled through the shadows, making sure no passerby would notice her. The voices were eating away at her mind as she wiped tears away from her cheeks.

She couldn't tell where she'd gone, but she felt better knowing it was far away from her apartment and away from Soul.

Soul ran up the steps to Kid's house, slamming his fist against the wooden door. He didn't wait for it to open before he swung the door open and hurried inside.

"Soul?" Liz asked, looking up from her spot on the couch with a book in her lap.

"Maka's gone." He didn't seem to focus on her, but more on the words he allowed to leave his mouth. His breathing was ragged from running here, in the blinding rain.

"What do you mean she's gone?" Liz stood up quickly, slamming the book shut. She hurried over and looked at him with worry.

Once Kid and Patty were caught up on what was happening, they gathered up Tsubaki and Black Star. They argued about what to do: to go look after her, go tell Lord Death and Spirit, wait for her to come back on her own, or to just wait and think of a reason as to why she would leave, where she would go, and who or what would she be going to.

They all eventually agreed to go tell Lord Death.

Unfortunately for them, they were told to wait and she'd be found by the adults.

"This is worse than waiting for her to come back on her own." Soul complained, running his fingers through his hair in agitation.

"Have these things ever ended in one of us dead? I mean, we've been through so much and have come out just fine," Liz tried to comfort. "I'm sure she's fine. We've all gone through some terrible stuff, but it's always ended up pretty good."

"I guess you're right," Soul sighed, hesitating. "But I can't just sit here and do nothing."

Crona, who they had called and told about the events at hand after they spoke to Lord Death, looked up from his resting spot in the corner. Ever since Maka had gone a bit crazy, people found more opportunities to take advantage of him. He was exhausted from always worrying about what was going to happen next.

"I bet if they do find her soon, she'd really like somewhere warm and comfortable." Patty stated as she colored on a sheet of paper. "Isn't that right, Mr. Frie?"

"Patty, that's my homework!" Liz snapped.

"I guess I could do that..." Soul shrugged and stood up. He left without another word and headed towards his warm bed. It was still raining, soaking through his shirt, but his mind was on other things.

He made himself dinner before curling up underneath his blanket.

He could just take care of everything tomorrow.