Chapter 7: Caught

Maka sat on the couch, staring at the ceiling blankly. Soul swung open the door, his eyes darting to her in surprise.

"You're not in your room," he stated.

"Is that wrong?" she asked, not moving her eyes away from the ceiling. "I can go back if you want."

"No," he answered, closing the door behind him and moving towards the kitchen. "Is it my turn to make dinner again?"

"Only if you feel like making food. I'm fine without eating." She shrugged.

"When was the last time you ate?" Soul looked at her with a worried expression, but attempted to hide it. He wouldn't say it out loud in case someone misunderstood, but he was beyond glad to see her out of her room. "I'm not eating dinner without you."

"Why not?" Maka asked, looking at him without expression. "You've done it before, so what makes this time any different. And anyway, I'm not hungry."

"Maka..." He stated warily.

"Just eat," she snapped. She stood up and went back to her hiding place.

Maka began to frequently come to school again, but she just wasn't the same. When Ox would challenge her with a glare to the side during a pop quiz, she didn't bat an eye. When Crona cowered behind her, she rarely noticed. Kid was even dared to kiss her on the cheek, much to Soul's protests, but she just sniffed and walked down the hallway silently.

It was on one specific day they knew that something was definitely up.

Maka walked out of the school doors to find many of the students of DWMA just hanging about. She pushed her way through and stopped when someone called her name.

"Maka Albarn!" someone shouted. People moved out of the way to reveal a guy she hadn't bothered to pay much mind to. She cocked her head to the side unquestioningly as he pointed at her, his weapon standing closely behind him. "I challenge you!"

Maka scoffed, shaking her head. "You're annoying. And it's not very polite to challenge a girl when her own weapon isn't even outside yet."

The guy sneered.

"Mark, please." His weapon whispered. Maka fixed her sleeves and dusted off her coat as Soul, Liz, Patty, Kid, and Black Star walked outside.

"Soul, come here." Maka immediately turned to him as he approached, stopping beside her with a curious look. She reached out her hand and he looked to Mark across the courtyard. He nodded in understanding, smiling. It'd been a while since he was in a fight. He would be lying if he said he wasn't looking forward to it.

As soon as Soul turned into a weapon, he was tossed into darkness. Maka straightened her spine, smiling evilly as a bitter chuckle rose up her throat. She watched as Mark and his weapon got ready, but didn't hesitate to attack.

Maka vanished from her spot, causing him to look around in confusion. She laughed as she appeared behind him, swinging Soul down to strike the boy, but he managed to barely twist to the side. His shirt was torn at the back, but he tried to ignore it.

"Maka?!" Soul yelled, looking around at the black arms that kept him from interfering. He watched as she swung him around, running much faster and twitchy than usual.

A moment later, Mark was on his knees, blood dripping from almost every part of his body. Weakly, he surrendered and his weapon appeared beside him, helping him up.

Soul gasped in relief as he was let out of the black hands' grip, collapsing to his knees from the sudden change.

(A/N: Sorry for the few days that came after I had initially planned. I apologize for not getting this out sooner. Anyway, hope you guys liked! I will attempt to get the next chapter out soon.)