Chapter 13: Healing

Maka woke up in a hospital bed, her wounds bandaged up. She looked from side to side, Soul was sleeping in one of the chairs while Dr. Stein stood at the table against the other wall, his hands holding three files filled with paper.

"Ah, you're awake." He stated, turning around. "How are you feeling?"

"Good."

"There's no need to lie, Miss Albarn. I understand what you're going through. It's worse than hell."

"I tried to hurt them. I don't deserve to complain."

"The madness tried to hurt them, not you. They understand that."

"I don't." Maka fell silent after she stated that, closing her eyes in response. After a few minutes, Dr. Stein sat down and began to rummage through papers again.

The door swung open to reveal Crona, his pink hair pinned away from his face. He wore a black sweatshirt and a pair of grey pants.

"What are you wearing?" Maka couldn't help but smirk at her friend's change in style.

"Patty and Liz wanted to see what i'd look like in this. They were almost done, but they told me about what happened and I ran out." Crona pulled a chair up beside the bed and sat down, taking one of her hands in his. "I'm so sorry."

Maka's eyes widened and she gripped his hand, biting back tears. She looked away and threw an arm over her eyes.

"Stop it," she managed to choke out. "You have nothing to apologize. If i'd seen you while I was...ugh..." She dropped her arm to her mouth, her eyes turning back to her pink haired friend.

"But you didn't. I hurt you before and you forgave me. You didn't question it. You stayed by my side. So now it's time for me to be by yours." He smiled reassuringly.

Maka had never wanted to hug someone so badly before. Sure, she'd felt like she could with Soul before, but this was different. She wanted to cry and laugh at the same time.

"Maka?" She heard Soul mutter on her other side. She turned to face him. His red eyes were filled with exhaustion as he sat up. He leaned forward, a smirk already playing across his face. "So you love me, huh?"

Maka's eyebrows furrowed in confusion before realisation hit her. Her skin burned red as she threw her hands over her face. Crona smiled as he leaned back, watching his two friends talk.

"Sh-shut up." She spat, her eyes narrowing before she looked away. "I just...wasn't thinking straight."

"Then why are you blushing?" Soul grabbed a lock of her hair, his red eyes boring into her skull.

"I blush all the time. Y-You should know that."

"Not like this."

Maka hated it when he got flirty. She always fell for it.

Soul kissed the lock of hair in his palm before standing up and walking away.

"I'll go get some food. Be back later." Soul closed the door behind him when he exited, his own face burning red as he stuck his hands in his pockets, heading down the hallway.

"So, what exactly happened?" Crona asked, placing his chin on his palms as he looked at his blonde friend. "You guys were acting awkward."

"The madness made me expose something to him and well...it sort of...um...was..." She sighed and looked away, pink painting her cheeks again. "I accidentally told him I loved him."

"Do you?" Crona asked, smiling in interest.

"Um..." Maka chuckled and nodded. "I guess you could say that. But of course, it would never work. It didn't work for my mom or dad, so what makes us any different?"

"Maka, just go with you gut...or heart. What you thought was right before always turned out okay. You knew what the difference between right and wrong.only because of your feelings. They've never been wrong before, have they?"

"I don't know," Maka answered, shrugging. Before anyone could say anything else, pain shot through her head, causing her to grip it tightly, her heels digging into the mattress.

"Okay, let's let Maka rest." Dr. Stein said, only now realizing his surroundings. He stood up and walked over, injecting her IV with liquid from a needle. It took a moment before she was out again, her fave calm. "At least she feels better...emotionally. Good job, Crona."

The pink haired male sighed and rested his head on the mattress, watching his friend sleep.

*************************************
Yeah, I decided to update again tonight. It was another short one, but I hope it was satisfying. I have a great idea for the ending! I hope you guys'll like it. Anyway, probably only going to add three or four chapters at the most before wrapping it all up. If you'd like, I have other stories i'd love you guys to read. Only if you'd want to. :)