Chapter 6: Escape

Maka dragged her coat behind her. She didn't know why she suddenly had the urge to go to school. Soul had already left, so she was only greeted with a sleeping Blair.

Maka left without eating breakfast. When she approached the DWMA, she lingered at the door, staring at it, almost confused by it for a second, before she pushed her way inside. The halls were empty--everyone was probably already in class.

Dr. Stein turned to the door when she walked inside, her hair still loose around her shoulders. She walked silently to her seat and plopped down, her coat resting in her lap. Tsubaki looked up at her with a worried expression, but Maka didn't return the glance, just stared at the blackboard.

"Where have you been?" Liz asked once class was dismissed. Kid stood in front of her, panicking over how unsymmetrical she was. He tied her hair back as she shrugged to Liz, her green eyes focused on Crona hiding in the corner.

"Are you okay, Maka?" Tsubaki asked.

"Mm-Hmm." Maka nodded before walking over to the cowering boy. She stood over him and bent down onto her knees, placing a hand on his forehead. "Sick?"

"No," he answered, looking away quickly. Maka's eyes darted to the red mark on his neck and stood up, sighing. She helped him up and walked over to the group again, Crona close behind.

"You trying to outshine me, Maka?!" Black Star yelled, leaning forward and giving her an accusing glance. She didn't answer and just slipped on her coat, yawning.

"I think i'll be going home now." She was about to spin around when she was stopped by their weird glances. She did her best to smile, a slight chuckled escaping her lips, but it immediately vanished. "What?"

"We haven't seen you in ages and you're just going to leave like that?" Soul asked, his red eyes filled with confusion. Maka looked away, swallowing hard. She stiffened as the sound began to fill her mind but she tried to ignore it, turning back to them.

"It's complicated." She waved slightly when she heard a loud crash behind her. She looked around to see Crona cowering again, but now she saw the reason. "Hey!"

"Why the hell are you still here?!" the stranger yelled to the pink haired boy. "I told you--"

Maka was there in a flash, twisting the older boy's arm around his back and pinning him to the ground. He smashed his face into the floor and Crona stared in surprise. Blood began to pour from the boy and he looked to Maka, his eyes wide. She wore a blank expression, gripping the boy's arm.

"M-Maka?" the stranger croaked. She flung him onto his back and stood up, kicking him across the face.

"Please don't say my name." She looked to Crona over her shoulder and then looked to the blood staining the floor silently. "I'm going home."

Just as suddenly as she came, she was gone.

***********************************

A/N: I apologize for such a short and bad chapter. I was caught up in something and didn't have time to really return to this. I will try to answer all of your questions as best I can in the next chapter which should be out this weekend. Again, I am really sorry for such a bad update, I'll do my best to make it up to you guys.