Part 53

Elena got off the plane, and even though she was a vampire, she had a feeling that her knees weren't buckling only metaphorically. There was only a few-hour drive to Mystic Falls, and it was suddenly terrifyingly little. She was grateful at least for her brother's presence, although he fell asleep on the plane and she was alone with her head full of scary thoughts.
As soon as they were out waiting at the bus stop for their bus to arrive - which was supposed to happen in ten minutes - Elena checked her phone, which she had set on plane mode earlier, and she found out that she had eight missed calls and five texts from her roommate. All of them were saying something like that she was worried about her, where had she gone and to call her as soon as possible. Elena didn't understand that. If she was determined to kill her, why was she looking for her so desperately? Shouldn't she be relieved that she had got rid of Elena and mind her own business?
She showed the texts to Jeremy; he just shook his head in confusion. 'You should let it go,' he said finally. 'It's better that you're gone.'
Elena nodded and suppressed the urge to reply to the texts. She rather completely turned off her phone and threw it into a pocket of her bag. Jer was right. It WAS better that she was gone. However, she wasn't totally sure whether it was better to be HERE, only a few-hour drive from Mystic Falls. That place used to be her home, but now it seemed to her like hell where she was returning as a punishment.
She was looking forward to seeing Jenna and Caroline and Bonnie; on the other hand, she was afraid of male faces - Stefan's, Damon's and...
Jeremy recognised that something was worrying her and he squeezed her arm. 'It will be OK, I promise.'
She smiled at him as convincingly as she could. Of course that he believed it would be OK. He didn't feel about Klaus Mikaelson the way she did.
'Look, our bus!' Jeremy exclaimed excitingly.  The bus was really approaching their stop. Jeremy immediately grabbed Elena's luggage so as to put it in the storage space. Elena softly pushed him aside.
'Please, don't drag it. I'll do it myself!'
But Jeremy refused that resolutely. 'Stop it. You're a girl. Let me be a gentleman and take care of you.'
'You, a gentleman?' Elena raised her eyebrows. 'Wow, so much has changed. What else have I missed in New York?'
'I'll tell you all about it on the bus if you want me to,' he winked at her. 'It will be a long journey.'
Not as long as I wish, thought Elena with an almost unhearable sigh. The front door opened. It was time to get on.