Part 11

Elena was looking at Klaus, trying to organise the thoughts that were spinning around inside her head like crazy. He was offering her something a part of her desperately craved for. But at the same time she was afraid to become a vampire, and a little disgusted, too.
A world of new possibilities was opening for her. An exciting life. She could turn off the pain anytime. And above all, she wouldn't be so vulnerable anymore. She could take care of herself. Nobody would have to protect her and nobody else would have to die for her.
They were tempting visions... And it was very hard for Elena to resist.
'So what do you choose, Elena?' asked Klaus.
'How are you planning to kill me?'
'Like a gentleman,' Klaus smiled at her. 'Is that a yes?'
Elena nodded hesitantly and she drank his blood.
'Are you sure about this? You can still stop it.'
She shook her head. 'No. Do it,' she told him in a strong voice.
He grinned, almost as if he had known in advance that she would make this decision. Which he actually kind of had.
'Take off the necklace first,' he advised. 'You'll save yourself from a big pain.'
'Yeah, right. Verveine will be dangerous for me,' realised Elena and she sadly took off her necklace and and put it into her bag.
'Exactly. No verveine,' Klaus warned her.
'Let's not make it any longer,' said Elena. Klaus lifted up her hands but she jolted. 'Wait,' she blurted.
'Do you want to change your mind?'
'No, I don't, just...' Elena made a pause and she looked at her bleeding classmate who was watching them with fear the whole time they were talking. 'Promise me that I won't kill him. That when I drink from him, I'll heal him.'
'You're asking me for such a promise? You know I don't care about humans.'
'You care about me,' she reminded him. 'And I care about him.'
'I see where you're headed with this. Ok fine,' he agreed. 'It's your last human wish. It would be impolite of me not to make it come true.'
'Thank you,' she whispered.
'I have absolutely no idea why you trust me,' muttered Klaus and with one elegant move of his hand he broke her neck.