FIFTEEN

"It's not like I asked you to cook." I ran a hand down my face, exasperated. I sat on the bed and as a habit, I reached under my shirt to untape my wings that were uncomfortably folded at the moment. I them remembered Mary was still here and I quickly refrained.

"I've already seen them, you can untape them if you want," she said, coming around the kitchen and sitting on the floor in front of me. "Oh, that reminds me!" She quickly bounced back up and ran to the bathroom.

"I got you this!" She exclaimed excitedly, handing me something pink. "They didn't have any other colours." She smirked a bit and I had the feeling she was lying, but I eyed the material curiously.

"What is it?" I asked her, pressing it. It moved under my finger.

"It's pro wrap! It's what girls use to hold their hair back during sports, you can use it for your wings!" Her eyes sparkled even though I'd been so mean to her. I couldn't understand how she had the capacity to be so nice to me.

I took off my shirt without really caring and I untaped my wings with a grimace. Mary watched me as if she felt my pain, though of course she didn't,

Well, you did burn down her house...

I ignored the demon and threw the tape in the garbage. My wings expanded on reflex and Mary reached out to touch a feather. "No touching." I snapped, slapping her hand away. I unrolled the pro wrap and moving my wings back around my torso, I wrapped it around my stomach and tied it in a knot after. I grabbed a pair of scissors and snipped it. My wings immediately stretched out and there was no pain removing the pro wrap.

I felt so happy and thankful that I did something totally out of character for me. Let's blame it on the overwhelming excitement. I picked her up and spun her around while hugging her. "Thank you, thank you, thank you," I repeated, so grateful to not have to pluck feathers every time I untaped them.

I finally put her down and she giggled. "That'll never happen again," I told her sternly, pointing a finger at her as if I were her father or some authority figure.

"I didn't expect it in the first place." Mary smiled. She reminded me a little bit of Tiana and I immediately felt bad for the way I'd treated her today. "What's wrong?"

I didn't reply and just walked into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. The pro wrap definitely felt much better, but I would only be in this town for about six more months, she'd have to leave at some point. I just had to figure out a way to get her to stay quiet.

No useful ideas came to mind. Well, not any legal ones anyway...

Since when have legalities been an issue?

I'm not going to kill her.

"Well thank goodness for that," I heard Mary say from behind the door. I unlocked it and opened it, glaring at her. I hadn't meant to say that out loud, but she shouldn't have been eavesdropping.

On what? Your mental conversation?

"Look. I'm thankful that you gave me this because it'll definitely help a lot, but I need you to... fuck off," I said, deciding to be frank with her. She flinched at the curse and I pretended not to notice.

"No need to be a cow about it, sheesh," she muttered, walking over to the bed and laying on it. I narrowed my eyes, watching her as she rolled over. I grabbed the pro wrap and tied my wings down as I threw a shirt over my head. Suddenly my phone beeped and I sauntered over to the counter where it laid peacefully.

"Hello?" I answered, eyeing the girl in my bed warily. Her black hair was spread out above her like a dark halo as she shut her eyes and took deep breaths.

"Hey hun! Where've you been? I haven't seen you since the party when you disappeared," Adelaide's voice rang through the phone loudly. Mary's eyes snapped open and she looked over at me. I didn't bother returning her questioning glance, I simply held the phone up to my ear calmly.

"Hey Adelaide," I replied, not answering her question.

"Hey Adelaide," she mimicked, "I asked where you've been, dipshit."

"I've been— uh," I paused to look over at Mary, "dealing with a predicament. I was at school though, maybe you're the one who's disappeared."

"Well maybe I have predicaments of my own," she spoke cryptically, "it doesn't matter, it seems we've both been busy. Therefore, it's time to hang out!"

I rolled my eyes, but bit back a small smile. "When were you thinking?"

"Tonight of course! You better stay at this party for more than five minutes. Oh— and this time, try not to beat up the party goers."

"That was one time..."

"Let's not make it two times," she laughed on the other end.

"Whatever, where is it?" I inquired as Mary got up to look out the window.

"Same place, ten o'clock, be there, okay?"

"Yup, see ya." I hung up and found Mary staring at me inquisitively. "Yes?" I asked as I placed my phone back into the counter.

"Who was that?" Mary questioned, walking towards me. I ran a hand through my curly brown hair and rolled my eyes.

"Does it matter? I'm going out later, apparently you can cook so I guess I don't have to order in," I added, smirking as she huffed.

"If you had anything more than mice and dust in your cabinets, I'd probably be able to whip something up. Unfortunately, all that calls for, is an incurable disease," she stated with a tiny smile on her lips.

"Well, that seems like a you problem, not a me problem, so..." I trailed off, malice glinting in my dark auburn eyes. She scoffed and waltzed into the bathroom, not looking back in my direction. I chuckled and took a seat at the dining table.

You've really done it this time.

Shut up.

Oh, I'm quaking in my boots.

Then a burning sensation began in my stomach, starting as a faint tingling but quickly turning into a harsh fire inside my abdomen. Thankfully, Mary was in the bathroom and the pain eventually subsided.

Damn, this evil shit is a bitch.