SIX

I slept all day and now I can't sleep. It's currently 11:26PM and life is officially dull. I had four missed calls from Adelaide because I was flying and I didn't have my phone, but I was too lazy to call her back.

A walk it is then.

I was still wearing my outfit from earlier and I realized that my black army boots were tearing.

Poor baby.

Shut up, dad. What a prick. Then again, he's the Duke of hell, what else would I expect? That he'd be nice to me because I'm his son? I mean clearly that's too much to ask.

I was walking down the strip of the downtown area when I smelled it. I sniffed the cold air and turned around. A man, brown hair to his shoulders, burly, well built... Except he wasn't a man at all.

"Gabriel." It croaked.

I sighed, "Shapeshifter demon? I thought your kind would stop coming for me, you know, after killing the last ten you've sent my way. Does my blood really mean that much to you? I could give you a tablespoon if you really need it."

It sneered, glaring at me with its black eyes. "Well, come get me then." I smirked as it transformed from the human it was pretending to be and into the hideous red spider like creature that it really was. "Do you mind if we take this into the alley? I don't want people knowing I kill demons in my spare time, it's kind of a turn off, you know?"

I don't know what it is about killing demons, it just puts me in a great, confident mood. The demon growled and changed after me. "I guess that's a no then."

I ran into the nearest alley, cornering myself, but at least if I died, it wouldn't be on a main street. The creature approached me slowly, hissing at me. It looked like a centaur with six legs to be frank. "Hmm, red is not a good colour on you." I commented as it charged at me. I reached for the knife in my boot that I always kept, and pulled it out. I slid on my knees and cut its stomach open from underneath as it charged over me.

It was rather gruesome, but it got the job done. The being fell the pavement and well... Went back to hell? Its body disappeared, leaving nothing but some black liquid behind. I wiped my knife on the nearest dumpster and almost laughed at how easy that was. I was about to exit the alley when something caught my eye.

Something white moved fast behind two buildings across the street. Creasing my eyebrows, I crossed the street and followed it. I followed it until we were back at my place. I saw something white through my window and frowned. I ran up the stairs of the apartment building and pulled my knife out of my boot.

I noticed that the lock was broken and I sighed. I don't really have the money to fix it. I pushed open the door silently and looked around inside. There was no one to be found, just a note on my bed.

Dear Gabriel,

I suppose in jail they give you one call, this is mine.

Right, I have a message. Undo that tape, will you? Not everyone hates seeing your wings. Gosh. Albeit you're afraid. Be a man! Really. I know you can. Enter that portal of freedom! Live you're life. You're a teenager! Own it! Unbelievable. Really. Frustrating, that's what you are. Alright, maybe I'm being harsh. Try loosening up. How about some tea? Earls is good. Really, try it, it's delightful. How's high school? Any cute boys? Suppose not, you would've thought of them by now. Eating well I assume? Sardines are pretty gross. Crab is quite disgusting as well, I don't recommend them. Apples keep the doctor away though! Promise me one thing. Eat healthy. Don't get fat either.

Love Lillith.

What the hell?

My mother didn't write that.

There's no way in hell, or in earth, or in heaven.

This has to be a trick.

Wait... I grabbed a piece of paper from my binder in my backpack and started writing down the first letters of each sentence. R. U. N. G. A. B. R. I. E. L. Y. O. U. R. F. A. T. H. E. R. H. A. S. E. S. C. A. P. E. D.

Run Gabriel, your father has escaped.

Oh shit.

Holy fucking shit.

I ran a hand through my hair and took several deep breaths. It's not that my father is that scary, it's just that my mother wouldn't send a message like that if it wasn't important. Not when she can just talk to me through my mind.

This has got to be bad. I tore up the paper and threw it in the metal garbage can. I created a small flame and dropped it into the garbage, burning the paper.

Demons are a pain in the butt, but my father? He's like a mosquito you can't kill because you he's your family, but the mosquito would gladly suck you blood until you're dead.

Damn, I'm good with metaphors.

How does one go about escaping the pits of hell anyway? Like what the literal hell. Feeling oddly exhausted and definitely not in the mood to stress about this reunion, I plopped into the bed and imagined the light switch once more.

Off.

Demon, if you ever do anything like that again I swear you'll regret it.

And what will you do?

I know you feel these urges too. All I have to do, is not burn a building and we're back to square one, you and me.

There was silence for a while, but eventually I heard a, fine.

With that, I dozed off to sleep as if I didn't have a care in the world.

-----

When I first start writing a book, it's like a frenzy. Now I'm regretting making the girl the main character and not the guy, but whatever, I'm too lazy to change it. - I lied, I just changed it, tell me if I missed any changes.