FOURTEEN

I'd made her sleep on the floor and I felt no guilt up to this point. That is until I realized that I'd forgotten to give her a blanket. When I woke up, I found her in a shivering heap beside my bed.

I flicked on the light witch with my mind and got out of bed.

I decided to let her sleep, it being 8:00AM. I dropped my covers on her and grabbed a pillow off my bed. Somewhat hesitantly, I got down into a squat and placed my hand under her head. Her soft black hair cascaded across my arm as I placed a pillow under her head. When I got back up, I taped my wings and put on pair of tight sweat pants and a loose shirt.

I arrived at school, thoughtlessly entering the building. Once I walked through the doors, I felt a presence beside me. I looked down and saw Tiana's bright brown eyes gleaming up at me.

"I see you found your way home alright." She commented, smirking as she walked alongside me. A fruity smell wafted through my nose and I looked down at her as we walked. She was no longer looking at me, but ahead of us, at something in the distance.

I looked up and found a crowd circling a fight. I could see two heads swirling around in the middle of the chaos.

"Oh shit." I heard Tiana mutter under her breath. She left my side and quickly ran to the crowd. She disappeared amongst the sea of faces and I found myself jogging to find her.

Her figure emerged into the centre of the circle where the two boys were battling it out. "Stop it, Jason!" She exclaimed, trying to grab one boy off the other. One had dark skin, while the other was almost as pale as Mary. Mary...

I shook my head and watched the scene unfold until I had to take action. It was when the pale boy accidentally punched Tiana that I decided to step in. I bolted through the crowd just in time to see the dark skinned boy clock the other one in the face, rendering him unconscious.

He turned back to Tiana with a worried look on his face. Tiana was on her knees, clutching the left side of her face. The boy bent down to help her, but I got there first. I wondered which one was Jason, but at the moment I wasn't too concerned.

"Who are you?" The boy asked me, a skeptically glare on his face.

"Who cares? You don't know me, I don't know you." I stated nonchalantly, helping Tiana to her feet. The boy tried to take Tiana, but I gave him a deathly glare, warning him to stay back.

Tiana said nothing, she just held her face. The boy watched with a sad look as I took her to the nurses office. The crowd had dispersed and the white boy still hadn't woken up.

"So who's Jason?" I questioned as we walked to the nurses office. I admired her bravery, but frowned at her recklessness. She could've asked me to do something, it would've been much more effective.

I've only known her for a day, but she doesn't seem like the type to ask for help.

Touché.

"My brother." Tiana replied, still holding her face. Her arm was wrapped around my waist and mine was around her shoulders. So the dark skinned one was her brother then?

I sighed and stopped walking, pulling her against the wall softly. "Let me see." I tried to say delicately. She slowly peeled her hand away, revealing a quickly bruising cheekbone. I'm surprised the white boy didn't cut himself punching that cheek.

Stop it.

I brushed my thumb over it gently and she winced. Then a thought struck me, "This isn't another one of your elaborate schemes, is it?".

Tiana laughed, then winced as the pain from her cheek followed. "I wish, but no. My brother getting into a fight was not part of my plan. Then again, I probably could've predicted it based on his behavioural patterns."

I raised a curious eyebrow and she shrugged, "I like psychology." She said.

"Well we better get to the nurse for some ice." I stated, pulling her towards the office.

"Slow down, I'm wounded." Tiana chuckled, visibly trying hard to fight the pain in her cheek. I turned back to her and she bumped into my chest. "Ow."

"I'm hurt, aren't-" I cut her off.

"Don't act so weak, you got punched in the face, deal with it." I snapped as I continued walking. Yup, a real lady killer.

I have other things to worry about than a whiny girl. Lillith has escaped hell for fuck sakes.

"Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bus this morning..." She trailed off sarcastically. I ignored her, suddenly in a sour mood. We got to the nurses office and I opened the door for her, but didn't follow her in.

"Aren't you coming?" She asked confusedly, tilting her head.

"I'm sure you're capable of asking for a bag of ice yourself, princess." I mocked, smirking. Tiana glared at me and my heart stopped for a moment because I swear, it was the scariest thing I've ever seen, and that's saying something. That's probably why I shut the door so fast.

Girls are scary.

You're a disappointment to every good looking male.

I try.

I decided that school wasn't worth it today, as it wasn't every other day, so I just skipped the rest of the day. I needed to cool off, plus, Mary might've woken up already.

I walked home with a frown etched into my features, thinking about Lillith and why she wasn't talking to me even though she'd escaped. When I arrived at home, I opened the door, only to find Mary cooking with the little groceries I had.

"It's about time, what the heck am I supposed to cook with eggs and cheese? The plainest omelet in the universe?"

-------

Okay, I like both characters. I figured that Gabe was being a little too reachable so I had to fuck that up.

I got into the high school I wanted yeeee