48- The Other Thea (*)

I might not be able to update for a few days, but I will try---- hope you all like it! 

Have a great day!

Chapter Forty-Eight 

~Nobody's POV~

Tony crosses his arms. "So let me get this straight. You make a deal with that village up there. They give you people. But that didn't work, did it? You kept trying over and over, and none of those people worked."

"Which leaves the girl." says the man. "Yes."

There's a stony silence. Then, Tony says, his question directed at Kafrandi, "Would you mind telling me how, exactly, you are staying alive after we keep trying to kill your ass?"

Kafrandi's tail flickers. "I am one of those blesssssed with the gift of immortal life." His forked tongue snakes from his jaws. "Now. We need the girl."

"She's not here." says Thor, his hand clenching tightly over the hammer. "Nor will you ever find her."

"I detesssst." counters Kafrandi. "We know exactly where she is."

"Where?" demands Steve. 

"The sssssame place as the boy, the monster, and the man," says Kafrandi. He looks around at his query, eager to see expressions of contempt. When he sees none, he hisses, "Give her to us." 

"She's half a world away," points out Tony, discreetly reaching into his pocket and turning off all radio communications.

"No matter," says Kafrandi. "That portal, below you," his tongue flickers down to the ground as if he is tasting it- it is a hatch built in the ground, and Tony makes a note on how it is seemly teeming with energy. "Gives us access to one place. One place alone, wherever we see fit. And that is the location of your demi-human girl." 

"So what exactly are you going to do?" asks Steve. "Demand that she comes so you can open that hatch?"

"Yesssss..." hisses Kafrandi. "Oh yesssss."

*

"What do you mean you can't contact them?" demands Kyle, storming into the small (and now very messy) office that Bruce has been working in.

"Exactly what I said." says Bruce, kicking his swivel chair away from his computer so that he's facing Kyle, who does not look pleased. "Tony's not responding. None of them are."

"Thea is unconscious, and Jack had a black-out. I don't consider those events to be coincidental. Moreover, there's a vial of blood on the counter next to Thea, but nobody knows how it got there."

"It's her blood, didn't you take a sample last night?" asks Bruce calmly. 

"No, in fact, I did not." says Kyle testily. 

Bruce looks back at his computer. "Bring Jack in here so we can keep an eye on him."

"And Thea?" 

"Let her be. She'll wake up soon." 

Kyle stops in Thea's room first, to see if she's woken up. She hasn't; she isn't even moving. He sighs and walks over to her, pulling the thin, thread-bare blanket over her body. Spotting the vial of blood next to the bed, he grabs it, hoping to analyze it back in Bruce's lab.

No sooner has Kyle come back into the office with Jack- who can now walk by himself, although he winces- than the explosion ricochets through the building. 

Just in time, Kyle throws Jack out of harms' way as the building around them explodes. They both cough from the flames, Kyle's wrist bent backwards in an unnatural position. "Jack," he yells. "Jack!"