43- Blurs (*)

Here's another chapter... sorry for making everyone wait... :) :) 

Hope you like it! Edit is courtesy of my dear friend, lokidottir once again! :-) 

Chapter Forty-Three

~Nobody's POV~

"What did you do?" wails Thea, because she can't get anything else out as she crawls towards Loki, because it hurts her too much to bend over. "Why-how could you-I hate you-u—u-u-u."

His breathing is erratic; he's nearing his last. "Thea," he gasps, "Look...at me."

She's sobbing so hard, she can barely see, but she turns to him so that the two pairs of green eyes look at each other. She spots the knife in Loki's side, and watches as he pulls it out. The blood makes her feel dizzy, and she sways.

But it's a knife. It's a way.

She makes to grab it, but Loki stops her. And then, before she can move, the knife has disintegrated into a greenish mist. It's gone. 

"You...must...go on," whispers Loki. He grabs her arm; his fingers are trembling, "Go. You...will succeed."

"I can't!" she cries. "I can't, I can't, I can't, I can't!"

"Yes you...can..."

"No-no-no," Thea can no longer get anything out. She's watching someone else die now, someone that she hated but secretly down in her heart, she knows that through his cruelty and harshness, Loki was someone that could, in his own twisted ways, be relied upon.

"Don't...make me say... it again.... kitten...," he smiles at her slightly. He's trying to smile.

"Don't!" she chokes, "Please don't leave me by myself, Loki." Her words are childish, but then again, that's what she is. A child. Only a child...

But then Loki takes another, shuttering gasp, and then ceases to breath. His hand falls from hers, curling up onto the scorching floor.

"NO!" she exclaims, crying her heart out. "NonononononoNO!" 

But she knows that he's gone. And she lies her head down on his chest and begins to sob, her shoulders heaving as a little girl cries for her protector. 

*

"Loki's dead." 

The rest of the Avengers, with the addition of Kyle and Peter, stare at Natasha. She's at a computer screen, having hacked into the Imeldi's video feeds an hour or so ago. She can see into the cell. 

She spins around on the swivel chair, met with silence. Thor's head is down, silently grieving for his brother. 

"We have, like a week or so," says Tony. "A week. Here we are, cowering outside of an Imeldi camp, maybe only a few miles from the Mantra, and we're not doing a damn thing about it."

"If we try to get in there again, they might kill Thea," says Steve. "Loki's already dead. We can't trust them to not kill their prisoners even if they're returning them to us."

"So what do you suggest we do?" demands Tony. "Sit here? Wait to see how long they're going to drag Thea's life along until she dies? Wait until the Mantra is out of our reach. C'mon, guys, we're better than this."

He points to the computer screen. "Now there's a little girl inside that damn jail cell that needs our help. And beyond that, there's an entire earth out there that, quite frankly, is under the overwhelmingly clever and annoyingly deceptive attack of the Imeldi. Who's with me?"

Nobody protests, although Peter and Steve look like they'd like to.

"Where's Max?" asks Clint.

Without looking at Clint, Steve says, "With the boy. Now we need to plan this carefully. If we screw this up, Thea's a goner."