30- Duplicity, Aster, and Chains (*)

Hi all! Hope you like this chapter! :) 

Chapter Thirty: Duplicity, Aster, and Chains

~Thea's POV~

When I walk downstairs the next morning, I find Max leaning against the far cabinets, talking on the phone. He raises his eyebrows at me before tossing me a granola bar and a banana and walking out of the room.

Curious, I bite into the banana just for kicks and then tiptoe to the edge of the living room, leaning against the wall.

"-doing fine. Doesn't even know, which if you ask me, is the best thing."

Don't even know what?

"Yeah, taking her out today. Yep, four. And-"

The bang of pots on each other makes me jump and turn around. Kyle is looking at me through squinted eyes, two frying pans in his hand. I open my mouth to say something, but he interrupts, "Morning," he says pleasantly.

"Yeah..." I say, glancing longingly towards the direction of the living room and then abandoning my post and walking back into the kitchen. "Morning."

I feel Kyle's eyes on me, following me as I throw the banana peel in the trashcan. Knowing I need to divert this conversation before he starts questioning me about why I am spying on his brother, I say hastily, "So. Horses. That's today?"

"I thought that's what I told you yesterday."

As in, Thea, that's the stupidest diversion ever.

I swallow hard, and that's when Max comes in the room. He looks mildly interested in the interrogation scene, and says, "What'd I miss?"

Before Kyle can give his version of the story, I step in. "What don't I know?"

Max glances past me at Kyle, who shrugs, his eyes still on the back of my head. "What are you talking about?"

I cross my arms. "You know what I'm talking about. So let's start clean. Who were you talking to on the phone?"

Max hesitates, and Kyle takes this opportunity to walk forward so he is directly behind me, so that I can feel his breath on my arm. I begin to get a little frightened.

Apparently, Max notices, because he gives his brother a hard look and then beckons me forward. I don't move. Looking like he is fighting the urge to roll his eyes, Max says, "It was Steve."

"Steve." I state.

"Yes. He was checking in on you."

"How does Steve even know I'm here?"

"Oh, c'mon Thea," says Kyle. "Do you really think we don't have our ways of communicating?"

I pause to think about that, then ask "What don't I know?"

Max looks like he's considering something. I have the urge to look back at Kyle to take in his expression, but I decide to stay focused on Max. Finally, he replies, "They're being followed, and Steve didn't want you to worry."

"Followed by who?"

Max looks relieved, which strikes me as a little weird. "The Imeldi. Government agents. The same goons who were after you guys last time and still are."

"How do we know they're not at our back porch?" I say, trying not to appear frightened.

Max considers me for a couple minutes, then beckons me to him again. "C'mon. I want to show you something."

Reluctantly, and from a little prod in the back by Kyle, I follow Max upstairs and down the long hallway where my room is, with Kyle behind me. Our footsteps creak on the wood.