Chapter 14

Harley was sitting upward on the table, free from the straps. She was holding her daughter in her arms, humming Space Oddity to her and rocking slowly.

"Well, there's an hour of my life I'm never getting back!" Eddy grumbled, grabbing his cane and heading to the door. Joker only nodded as he left. Then, he turned to Harley. "Let me hold her, Baby Doll." Harley placed her in his arms. She had come into the world laughing. Perfect start.

Joker walked among the factory, carrying his little girl. "And these..." He stopped at the giant tubs of acid "Are full of acid." He climbed up one of the ladders bolted to the side, and got to the top. It had a small ledge, for standing or sitting. Harley was already there, back in her costume. Joker handed her the baby so he could pull himself up. They both sat by the edge, letting their shoes dip into the acid. "Come on, Harley girl. Let's give our little princess her first experience." He said, flashing a smile.

Joker took off his shirt, and slowly slid into the acid. It felt rejuvenating. Harley slowly lowered her kid, letting her legs dip into the acid, causing her to giggle. Harley then handed her to Joker, who let her whole body be submerged into the acid. "You want to keep calling her Ash, or pick a different name?" Harley said, slipping off her costume and sliding into the acid herself. Joker held out his daughter. She was covered in acid, yet she had a huge smile on her face. "Let's worry about that later." He said. They both leaned against the side, holding their baby in the middle.

They didn't hear him until he was right in front of them. Joker felt a small wind blow on him, making him open his eyes.

Batman was standing on the ledge.

He grabbed the Joker and pulled him out. Harley got a good grip on her child before she went beneath the surface. She started fussing, and Harley bounced her a little, keeping both of their heads above the acid.

"Hand over the kid. She's not safe with you two." Batman said, throwing the joker too the floor. "Batsy, if you so much as touch her, I'll put a bullet through your skull!" Harley yelled. Batman pulled her out by her shoulder, taking the baby from her arms before dropping her back into the acid. Harley gasped when she reached the surface, and started to cry.

Batman was gone.
So was her daughter.

Joker picked himself off the floor to hear Harley sobbing. She was sitting next to him, acid pooling around her as she cried into her hands. "Where is she?" Joker asked. "He took her!" Harley said between sobs.

————————————————————————
Bruce Wayne walked into his mansion, holding the girl. He had just finished giving her a real bath.

"How is she, Sir?" Alfred asked when he came into the living room.

"She seems to be sane. The acid got into her skin, so she'll have a pasty complexion for the rest of her life." Bruce said, setting her down on the couch. She yawned, and giggled a little. Bruce cracked a small smile, and Alfred saw it.

"Might I make a suggestion, sir?"

————————————————————————6 months later

Alfred was trying without success to feed little Leah, who was in her high chair. He tried to shove the spoon in, but she would close it right before in touched her mouth. "Come on, Miss Leah. Just a few bites." Alfred tried to say, but she wasn't having it.

Bruce walked in on the scene, and smirked. Alfred turned around when he came in, and stood up. "Master Bruce, might I suggest you try feeding her?" He said, holding out the baby food and spoon. "But you're doing so well!" Bruce said sarcastically. But, he took them reluctantly, and Alfred left to do cleaning.

"So..." Bruce said, spooning some of the disgusting glop on the spoon, Leah watching him intently. "Open up." He said, trying to get it into her mouth. Instead, she grabbed the spoon out of his hands. Before Bruce could react, she leaned forward and shoved the baby food into his mouth. He stood up, spitting it into his hands. Leah giggled as he grabbed a napkin off the nearby table and tried to get the last bits of taste off his tongue. "Ok. It seems we're in agreement. No more strained apricots." He said. Leah touched his hand that was on the high chair, making him look at her. Then, he left for the kitchen.

Bruce came back with a different option: strained peas this time. "Ok. Let's try this again." He sighed, spooning a pile. Leah shook her head. "Look, what do I have to do to get you to eat this?" She smiled, and pointed at him. I'll give her credit. She's smart for a baby. Bruce thought, looking down at the peas. Finally, he stuck them in his mouth.

His gag reflex kicked in, and he had to strain himself from spitting it out. "Mmm" He said, trying to convince Leah that they were good, but really it was just so he wouldn't vomit. "This stuffs terrible." He said, but being the young child she was, Leah didn't understand what terrible meant. "All right, enough with the games! You're gonna eat this, and you're gonna do it right now." Bruce claimed, shoving the spoon at her. Surprisingly, she ate it. And she continued to eat it until the small jar was empty. "Thank you." Bruce said, standing up. Leah laughed, seeing the baby food dribbling down his chin. He ignored it, and quickly went into the kitchen.

Alfred was preparing a lunch, when Bruce stumbled in. He immediately plunged his head into the sink, and Alfred could hear him spitting stuff. "How did it go, sir?" He asked, trying to hold back a chuckle. Bruce stood back up, and got his composure back. "It actually went fine. All I had to do was ask nice." He said, straightening his tie. "She's a handful, eh sir?" Alfred asked, pouring soup into a bowl. "Yeah. She's also rather smart for a baby. I think it might be a result of the acid." Bruce said, wiping off some food on his clothes. "When she's older do you think we should tell her?" Alfred asked, not needing to specify what he meant. "No. Absolutely not. If she knew, she might want to go see them. And they'll just twist her innocent mind until she's a monster just like them!" Bruce exclaimed. Alfred took the soup into the dining room, and Bruce followed him. Leah was still in her chair, and she smiled when they walked in. Bruce sat down, and looked at her.

She can't now.

Sorry if this sounds bad. I was suffering from writers block, and I had to have a major sugar rush and sugar breakdown to think of the next thing.

I'll see you three years later in the story!

-the writer