o n e

Alaska's POV

I sit on the small, two seater lounge in the corner of the lounge room. I continue to stare at my phone, it seems as though that's all i've been doing for the last hour anyway. I haven't unpacked anything except for this lounge, because I needed something to sit on whilst I wait for the phone call. All of my other belongings are in the hallway outside my door. I mean, i've literally only been in my new apartment for just over an hour. I'm starting to get a bit scared, as it is five thirty now. Won't they supposed to call at five. Just as i'm starting to give up, my phone starts blaring the ringtone and I rush to grab it.

"Hello?" I answer, trying to sound professional.

"Hello, Miss Andrews? This is Andrea Hale from Capitol Records."

"Yes, hello," I speak, nerves filling my whole body.

"I'm calling to inform you that your interview went very well and your resume was of a great standard. Congratulations, you've got the position."

"Thankyou very much," I speak, trying to match her tone and hold back the obvious excitement i'm feeling.

"You will begin on Monday, and you shall be assigned a desk and meet with your boss, Mr Connery. Have a great day, Miss Andrews."

And with that she hangs up. I jump in the air and flailing around, doing my little victory dance. I finally got the job, the job I have wanted for years now. Quickly picking up my phone, i diall Tyler's number.

"Ty! I got it! I got the job!" I enthuse into the phone.

"Babe, i'm at work." He speaks flatly, making my mood drop immediately.

"But, I finally got the job! The job I have wanted forever!"

"Alaska, babe, i gotta go."

"Fine then."

"Don't be mad, Las. How about we go out for dinner tonight?" Even though i should be angry with him, I can't help but let a small smile creep onto my face. Although I do hate it when he calls my Las.

"Okay."

"Great, see you tonight."

I hang up and turn around to look at my open apartment door, coming face to face with stacks of brown boxes sitting in the hallway. With a sigh, I start to unpack.

Tyler and I have been dating for about seven months now, and we met when I was visiting Sydney when I used to live in Perth. We immediately liked each other, and when I told him that I was moving here we started dating. He works as a photographer for some modelling company who show most of his pictures in magazines. To be honest, I dont know why he has to work so often, I mean, it's only photography.

I begin putting sheets on my bed and putting different ornaments around my room. A photo of Tyler and I, and a pictire of my mum, dad, and sister.

Finishing my room a few hours later, i check the clock and see that its almost eight. Tyler should be off work by now. Just as i'm thinking this, I hear a knock on the door. Opening it, I find that it isnt Tyler at all. There is a very tall man, probably no older than twenty. He had dirty blonde hair styled into a quiff, and piercing blue eyes. His lips are pursed with a slightly annoyed expression, and he wears an All Time Low shirt and black skinny jeans.

"Hello," I say.

"Hi," he speaks, his harsh tone surprising me. "I couldn't help but notice that you've moved in here, and I just wanted to let you know that I would appreciate it greatly if you could keep the noise level down."

"I... I wasn't making any noise?"

"You weren't," he says, "I'm just telling you for future reference."

"That was a bit unnecessary."

"Whatever," he snaps.

"Look, I don't understand why you're being so harsh-"

"Just keep the bloody noise down!" He interrupts me, and spins on his heel and marches into the apartment directly across from mine. Gee, I have great neighbours. Who was he anyway? He didn't even tell me his name or anything! My phone rings from my pocket and I quickly answer it, seeing that it's Tyler.

"Hello?"

"Alaska, baby i'm really sorry but they've got me on call tonight." He says.

"Oh... It's um, it's fine." I say, trying to hide the amount of dissapointment evident in my voice.and

Considering I am really pissed off at him right now, I dont even bother saying bye and just hang up. Beginning to cook dinner, my thoughts drift to the boy across the hall. Why was he so rude!? I shall have to ask him about that later. Maybe even ask if he can keep the fucking noise level down. Maybe I should just go over and introduce myself, and ignore the fact that I already met the dick earlier.

Agreeing with myself to do this, I quickly eat my dinner and do the dishes. Grabbing my keys, I walk into the hall and knock on his door. The door swings open and the boy appears, his face settling into a deep frown when he lays eyes on me.

"Can I fucking help you?" He snaps. Well, that was a great start.

Choosing to ignore his rude comment, I stick out my hand to him. "Hi," I say, a fake smile plastered on my face. "I'm Alaska, I just moved in across the hall, as you already know."

"What the fuck kind of a name is Alaska?" He looks at me like i'm some kind of an alien. Great. I always liked my name though, it was different. It's from an Aleut word, Alyeska. It means, 'That which the sea breaks against', and I love that.

"Never mind that," I say, not wanting to go over that right now. I am here for one reason and one reason only. To mean tis guy, and that is what I shall do. Sticking out my hand again, i repeat the same line. "I'm Alaska." Putting emphasis on each word, getting across the point that I wanted to know his name too.

He looks down at my hand, and back at me. "And?" He asks, nibbling on his lip ring. His lip ring. God, I never noticed it before.

I drop my hand to my side in defeat, "and I guess we're neighbours now."

"Fantastic," he says, rolling his eyes.

He begins to shut the door to his apartment, but i'm still not done with him.

"Wait!" I say. The door stops moving and he looks at me expectingly.

"What's your name?"

He stares at me for a moment before replying, "Luke." He says. "Luke Hemmings."

A/N Hey guys, so I'm not sure if you's know or not, but capitol records is the music label that 5sos are signed with. Yes, it is in LA but lets just pretend its in Sydney for this book? Yay :P