t h i r t y t h r e e

My heart climbs to my throat, beating rappidly. 

Luke clenches his jaw. "Of course I know where she is," he says. "She's in her apartment."

Drew laughs venemously. "Her apartment, you say?"

Luke parts his lips, brows furrowed. "Where else would she be?"

An evil smile spreads itself across Drew's face. He leans back in his chair, swiveling it so he faces me, looking directly into my eyes. 

Fear spreads through me like wildfire. How could he know?

"Alaska dear," Drew calls. "You do know we have security cameras, don't you?"

All eyes turn to face where Drew is looking; me. My body seems to be paralyzed and my breathing hitches.

"Come on now, don't be shy," Drew says, bringing a cigarette to his lips and taking a long, leisurely drag. 

I shakily rise to my full height, terror ripping through me. Drew smiles deviously and Luke's eyes widen.

"So, how are you doing Alaska?" Drew asks, and I take my eyes off Luke to focus on him instead. I can't seem to form any words on my tongue. 

"Do you now see why she is a threat to us, Hemmings!?" Drew yells, his calm façade dropping. "Do you now see that she is a part of this!? He turns to face Luke. "Do you now realise that she has been watching and listening behind your back!?"

I flinch at his words, and Luke's cheeks flush.

"Do you now see," Drew grumbles lowly. "That you have endangered the success of this enterprise!?"

I swallow hard. Luke remains silent, his eyes cast down at the table. I want him to say something, anything at all, but he doesn't.

Luke rises from his seat slowly. "I'll take care of this," he says to Drew.

"Is that a promise?" Drew challenges.

Luke nods faintly. "It's a promise," he says, his voice low.

"Good," Drew says. "Now get out of my sight, both of you."

And with that, Luke turns on his heels and stalks out of the room.

I remain frozen for a few moments before realising that everyon'es eye are still on me. I quickly exit the room, retracing my steps down the hall and out the iron door.

The cool air hits me as I emerge from the alley, my eyes searching the streets for Luke.

I spot him standing near the curb, eyes down, cheeks still bright red.

I speedwalk to catch up to him. 

"Luke," I say. "Let me--"

"Don't you dare fucking talk to me, Alaska!" he snaps as we cross the street.

"Luke--"

"No!" Luke stops as we reach the other side of the street, turning around to face me. "You went behind my back! You followed me when I specifically told you not to. You are so nosy that you have to know every freaking little thing about everyone! Well, guess what Allie," he snaps. "Your game is over. Now they know, now they're mad. And it's your fucking fault." He turns, adn continues walking.

"Luke, please--" I say, trying to match his fast walking pace.

"There is nothing you could possible say or do to make me any less angry with you right now, Alaska."

"Luke, please listen," I say, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks. 

Luke notices my tears and turns towards me, his blue eyes flashing with guilt. "No, Alaska. You don't get to cry. You don't get to be pitied here. You brought this all on yourself. You knew what you were getting yourself into by following me--"

"No!" I shout over him. "I didn't know! I didn't know what I was getting into, because you don't tell me shit!"

Luke opens his mouth to retort but I beat him to it. 

"My apartment was ransacked by one of my best friends, Luke. Yet you still refuse to tell me anything. I was attacked by two of them, and apparently I'm being constantly monitored! I deserve to know what the hell is going on!"

"Fine," he snaps. "You want to know what's going on?"

I nod.

He pushes open the door to his apartment, gesturing for me to follow him.