t w e n t y t h r e e

I watch Luke from my desk. 

He's actually working today, skimming over multiple papers and scribbling down different things here and there. His jaw is tense, and I can't tell if he notices me staring or not. He probably does. Luke notices everything. 

Meanwhile, I haven't even touched my unedited stack of songs. They sit in a manila folder on my desk, undisturbed. I unwrap a piece of watermelon gum and pop it into my mouth, my eyes still focused on Luke. He wears a black 'Green Day' shirt, and ripped skinny jeans. He leans forward on his elbows, eyes scanning the papers in front of him. 

He finally sits up, sliding a paper acoss his desk towards Matilda. "You made a calculation error," he says. 

Matilda furrows her brows, looking carefully at the paper. "Oh," she says. "Sorry."

Luke nods and moves some papers around, clicking his pen erratically between his fingers. 

There's so much I'm dying to find out about him. I obviously won't be able to get it out of him by talking, so I'm going to have to find another way.

My plan from the other night surfaces in my mind. Could it work? But, if I get caught looking at Luke's file without proper authorization, I could get in serious trouble. Is it worth it?

My eyes are still fixated on Luke when he looks up and locks gazes with me. The pigment of his eyes as blue as ever as he presses his lips in a tight line. I quickly look down at my desk.

"Alaska," he says, and I look back into his eyes. "Take a picture, It'll last longer."

I blush and look back down at my desk. I can practically hear the smirk in his voice. 

I stand from my desk and walk to the break room. I open the fridge to look for something that appeals to me, but find nothing. 

"Hey Alaska."

I jump at the sound of Calum's voice, and I turn around to see him leaning against the wall. "Cal," I breath. "You scared me."

He chuckles and leans down to look inside the fridge. "Sorry," he says. 

I run a hand through my hIr nd sigh. "it's fine," I say. 

Calum straightens up and cracks open a can of coke, "So what's up? YOu seemed kind of distracted today."

"Oh, um... I don't really know." Calum leans against the counter, casually sipping at his soda. A thought suddenly occurs to me. "Calum," I say, tilting my head. "What do you know about Luke?"

Calum shrugs. "He's an asshole," he says, cracking a smile. "But we're kind of friends I guess."

"Hmmm," I say, not really sure what to reply to that.

"He's a genius, though," Calum says. "He's great at maths and stuff. The opposite of my amazing self," he says, laughing slightly.

"What... what do you know about his past?" 

"Not much, really. He doesn't talk about his family alot."

I nod, "Okay then, thanks," I say. "I guess I was just curious." I smile at Claum before exiting the break room. 

Luke isn't at his desk.

I look down at my desk and groan, eyeing the manila folder. I clock open my red pen just as Mr Connery steps out of his office. 

"Alaska," he says, and I shoot up. 

"Is there something I can help you with?" I ask politely as I reach him. 

"Yes, you need to verify the accuracy of your file in Mr Adams' office with Mr Hemmings. I suggetst you go now."

"O-okay," I say nervously, nodding. 

"Oh, and I suggest you take the stair," he says, smirking. 

I blush from embarrasment  and nod, 

I don't see Luke anywhere so I make my way up to Mr Adam's office by myself. I climb the many stairs and arrive at the reception of r Adams' complex.

"Alaska Adrews," I say to the receptionist, and she nods at me to go into the office. 

Luke is slumped in one of the black steats across from Mr Adams' desk. His expression blank as I take the seat next to him.

"Miss Andrews," Mr Adams greets. "It's a pleasure to see you again." I smile and nod, trying to ignore Luke's presence beside me. 

"Mr Hemmings has done an excellent job of associating your file with the company, I just need you to read over it nad correct any errors."

I take the file into my hands and open it, my eyes skimming all the information I already know about myself. Everything is neatly typed and accurate. I nod and hand the file ack to Adams. 

"Everything's right," I say, and I see Luke trying to supress a smile from the corner of my eye.

"Perfect," Mr Adams says, and and turns to put my file in a cabinet by his desk. That must be where he keeps the files of all the employees. Including Luke's. 

I inhale sharply. I need to get that file, so I can read about Luke. 

Luke stands from his seat and and I follow. Adams shakes my hand and then Luke's, and then I follow Luke out the office door.

We walk down the stairs silently, he has his hands in his pockets and his eys are cast on the ground. 

"Alaska," he says as we step on the bottom floor.

"Yeah?" I say, surprised that he is even talking to me.

"Ever heard the saying 'curiosity killed the cat'?"

"Once or twice."

He looks at me with something I can't quite decipher, nodding as he walks into the office, leaving me standing there in confusion. 

Curiosity killed the cat.

Did he hear me talking to Calum?

Five o'clock rolls around, and Luke stands to leave, walking out without a word. I gather my things and take the elevator up to the top floor. I stand in the stairwell, watching as everyone flies out of their workspaces. They chatter and laugh as they enter the elevator. I watch as Mr Adams exits his office, engaged in a phone call. 

I silently creep out of the shadows in the stairwell, leaving my bags and other items on the stairs. I walk into the empty complex, double checking that every desk is empty. 

I look around for security cameras, and surprisingly I find none as I slip into Adams' office.