x. klaus mikaelson

"Niklaus 'Klaus' Mikaelson, the bastard hybrid. Welcome to your tape. God, haven't you noticed any pattern yet? You're like gasoline you know?  When you're near something already in flames, you just make it a forest fire. You always made everything about yourself, about your ritual, about your non-existent love life, and about my feelings. Yes, my feelings."

Klaus knew what Elena was talking about. He knew that she would talk about one of his moments of self-centeredness.

" I kept telling myself that maybe you'll leave me alone, that maybe you might cancel the sacrifice or that maybe you might let my aunt go. But I was dead wrong. I'm confused you know? You told me that night, right before the sacrifice and you told me that you would spare my aunt, that another would take her place. For 1 whole month, you tortured me. Told me that I needed to be perfect for the ritual. And you compelled everyone else to forget about me, whilst I was with you. And when you finally let go of me, I was almost dead. I mean a piece of me died the night your twisted plans of revenge began. And I realized that no matter how hard I could try to help you, you were to caught up in your own plans to remember me. To remember what we had, all those years ago. I know you remember that summer, Mikaelson."

Elena was about to reveal one of the things Klaus wanted to oppress from his memories. The night he ruined the last decent friendship he had.

"The summer of 2011.  A year or two after I had met the Salvatore's. The summer party in New York. You were there, of course, you were drunk off your ass to realize I was a doppelganger. I mean I was pretty drunk that night as well. I was trying to drown my sorrows when you approached me. And as the sun fell and the moon went in, the vibe was perfect. It felt like a complete dream and it relieved me to finally find someone who truly understood. Someone who wasn't fake. Someone who might be there for me. Someone who wouldn't take advantage of me in my drunk state, but I spoke too soon. Didn't I?  You didn't hold back, I remember, you savored the feeling of the cold beer down your throat. One drink turned too ten in no time. And meanwhile whilst the people who were surrounding us started losing their selves in the alcohol, starting to make decisions that weren't appropriate. Guys and girls flashing each other and some making out. But you, you stayed behind with me. I mean you were free to join the others in their interesting activities. But you stayed behind and comforted with my sorrows. And you showed me the beautiful sun that was hiding behind the curves of the Empire State Building, the rays giving the clouds tints of orange and pink. It was peaceful until you started staring at me, causing me to go deeper into the forest. Your eyes captivated me but the memory of a bronze-haired guy who made me feel great helped me control my temptation. And before I could get away from you, I felt your arm pull me causing me to land at your chest, making me uncomfortable. You gave me a lingering look that made me confused me about what I was feeling but it came to a halt when you crashed your lips against mine. And as I ran away from you back to my hotel, I still remember your chuckle that still haunts me. And the grunt that left your mouth as I faded into the distance. And it was then that my tears fell, like a never-ending waterfall. I had just kissed another guy behind Stefan's back. A guy who I thought was my friend. I was disgusted with myself. And you know what, I never managed to get your stench off me. So maybe I'm not surprised that you were planning on sacrificing me or torturing me."

"You kissed Elena when we were together?! Klaus, what the hell?" Stefan yelled, as heard how his old friend tried to make a move on his late girlfriend.

Stefan began to hit Klaus. "Get off me, Salvatore, if you know what's good for you." 

But Stefan took no heed, Klaus after seeing this decided to throw a few punches his way too. The restaurant was now filled with the shouts of Stefan as he threw profanities Klaus's way, causing Sherrif Forbes to head their way and aid the ongoing argument. It took half an hour before Klaus settled down and they got back to listening to the tape. All of them wishing that there was something to talk about other than their mistakes of the past. 

"But you know what, that day made me realize that I could care less about you. You weren't who you claimed to be. I guess I never will find someone who completes me, but let me tell you this Nik, you almost completed me. But I can't let myself be a fool anymore. I've grown up now. I realize now that I will never be complete. I'll always be broken."

The tape ended with a silence that the whole gang shared. The group had to let their mistakes go and let them stay in the past before it takes another one of them.

Klaus couldn't believe it. The doppelganger believed that he, the big bad hybrid completed someone as caring as Elena. It fascinated him. But then maybe she was onto something. That summer, Klaus could remember being heartbroken about a girl, he just wished that his arrogance hadn't gotten in the way. Because he felt the same way about Elena and now he could never tell her. Maybe it was her compassion that showed Klaus a piece of himself. A piece that had been dead for centuries. Ever since his change. Klaus wondered what might have been if things hadn't ended the way they had. Would Elena have changed him? Would he have ever learned to love again? Would he have sacrificed her? Would he have tortured her and let his ego get in the way?  He hated the fact that all he had was a bunch of what ifs. 

This story is almost coming to an end and I'm crying. I want to thank everyone for all their support.  I want everyone to know that as soon as this book is done, @voidbuzolic and I are working on a sequel so keep your eyes out.