vii. stefan salvatore

"Have you ever loved someone so much, that it ruins you?  And because of it, your heart breaks, your whole world crashes down. That's the consequence of loving a Salvatore. You love too hard because you want passion and adventure. You want a love that consumes you. And that's what my love for Stefan did, it consumed me until I was no longer my own person. You showed me, Stefan Salvatore, that I won't be this sad girl forever."

Damon was about to say something snarky, on how Elena had plagiarized his words. But decided against it. Now was not the best time, maybe torment his brother about it in a decade or two.

"It was pure bliss. The first few weeks of dating you but then you decided to do the same thing someone else did to me. You messed with me. You messed with me and my feelings. You told me you loved me, yet you were out every other night, sleeping with other girls. Is that what love means to you? Play with feelings. Does it make you feel better, knowing you crushed someone's heart? Because if it does then congratulations. You shattered mine. And then I learned you were a vampire, who's been alive since the 1800's. And when I confronted you, you said nothing, except to ask for me to stop talking. You hung your head and walked away from me, to God knows where. And it hurt me, you promised me, promised me that I would no longer be sad because you would be by my side. And it's hard to breathe sometimes, knowing what you did to me. You promised forever and now I've lost the will to fight because yet, another person betrayed me and took me for granted. But I guess that's just how I am. I trust too easily and I love too fast."

"Holy crap!" Rebekah thought. How much bad luck could the doppelganger have?  And it seems as though this was the only beginning, that there was more coming.

"But I still loved you, as crazy as it sounds. Because even if our love was short-lived, you showed me that I am worth loving, that maybe somewhere in the world, there's someone who loves me. Of course, finding out I was a face of your past was hard on me. You didn't love me because of who I was but who I looked like. And when you left, everyone told me to move on but I couldn't because even though you weren't here, I refused to move on. Because I had found love, and it might have been unrequited, but true love it lives on. Your soul it was haunting me and telling me that everything would be fine but I wished that I was dead. And I know you wished it too, so wish granted Stefan Salvatore. I hope you're happy now."

"No, I'm not happy." Stefan thought, not daring to say it aloud, afraid that it would set off many.