o. the audio files

"What is this?" Stefan asked while he clutched the iPod tightly to his chest. It was probably the last time he would hear his girlfriend's voice.

"She placed 13 audio files on the iPod. Those audio files contain every reason for why she died the way she did. She wants you, all, to know that this was her choice." Before she died, she had appointed Jeremy as the first to know about the iPod. He had to deal with her loss first, and it struck him hard since he knew his sister was about to die, and there was nothing he could do to stop it. The last week was the hardest for Jeremy to follow Elena's instructions, don't tell anyone, especially Alaric, until the right time. Since it was Jeremy who knew about the iPod and what Elena was about to do, the blame was placed on him. He had to face the disgust of the residents of Mystic Falls, for concealing this fact from them, he was now viewed as the 'bad brother' while he continued to console himself, telling himself, he did the right thing.

Everyone from the Mikaelsons to the Forbes were here gathered in a back table at the Mystic Grills. Elena's death was just another problem to add to the piling cases that Sheriff Forbes had yet to solve. Sheriff Forbes had known Elena had wanted to die ever since her parent's death. From that moment, Elena felt helpless. She was dragged into the world of vampires, she discovered she was adopted, the biggest and baddest vampire was after her blood, her aunt was sacrificed, and her boyfriend went missing when she needed him the most. She was drowning in everyone's problems that she had caused, and she was on edge with her life, so she had no choice but to end it.

"Jeremy, how do you know about these? How come she never told us about this?" Stefan Salvatore asked.

"I can't really say anything, it's not my place to, but everything you need to know is in this iPod."

Meanwhile, Klaus was silent, but inside he was fuming. The doppelganger was now dead, he no longer had access to her blood to finish his hybrids. He slammed the diner's wooden table, bringing attention to himself, but everyone knew he had only wanted Elena's blood for his hybrids, for his own selfish needs, so they decided to ignore him.

Everyone was heartbroken, Elena was the most passionate person anyone had met. Nobody wanted to touch the iPod except for Stefan. He held on the device tightly, reminiscing about the first time he met her and how he slowly fell in love with her. He remembered her inviting to the back to school bonfire, him walking in here with her, talking and laughing their asses off.

Memories of Elena flew through everyone's head. But to be honest, everyone was surprised to see the Mikaelsons. The Mikaelsons weren't the type to visit the funeral of the girl they hated, but there they sat, evenly spread around the roundtable. They sat quietly like they were actually upset about her death, solemn expressions displayed on their faces. But they spoke too soon, for Rebekah and Kol had started cackling. 

"The dopplebitch is finally dead, good riddance," Rebekah exclaimed, her lips curling into a sneer.

Everyone just stood still. Nobody spoke a word. They either looked at the door and windows or looked down. Jeremy broke the deafening silence, "I think it's time we started the files, guys, it's time you knew the truth."

Jeremy signaled Stefan to start playing the file. He obliged and pressed play.

The audio played but began with a short silence. "Is this a joke?" Stefan yelled, but before anyone could calm him down, they all heard the voice, the voice they had all missed.

 "Hey. It's Elena. Elena Gilbert, don't adjust you're, whatever device you're hearing this on. It's me, live and in stereo. No return engagements, no encore and this time absolutely no requests. Get a snack. Settle in. Because I'm about to tell you the story of my life, more specifically, why my life ended."

That voice somehow brought an uneasy feeling among everyone, and an icy wind was carried through the Grill, as though the weather could feel the change in the atmosphere. Jeremy finally broke down, crying as he heard the voice of his dead sister. Caroline and Bonnie also broke down in tears. But before anyone else could follow, the soothing voice of Elena Gilbert resonated through the Grill's walls.

"As you all know, I'm dead. What a great mystery to add to the growing cases of Mystic Falls, am I right? To avoid too much labor for the sheriff and you guys, I created these audio files for you to find out why. You're probably asking yourself why Mystic Falls perfect American girl would want to kill herself. Well, that's why I gave you guys this. On a serious note, I have 13 reasons why I'm no longer with you guys and to add the people that Jeremy brought are the reasons why. I'm not saying which tape brings you into the story. But fear not, if you received this lovely little box, you're name will pop up. I promise."

Gasps rose from the Scooby Gangs throats, but Jeremy shushed them all before a screaming match could occur on how they hadn't done anything to be here.

"But if you decide to check out this album. In it are some things that triggered and made things harder for me to live. And for those of you who feel uncomfortable listening to a dead person in a restaurant. You can find the audio attachments in your email inboxes.So welcome to 13 reasons why Mystic Falls perfect Elena Gilbert died. Off to my first reason: Tyler Lockwood."

The file ended. Shock was displayed on people's faces, even the Mikaelsons. She was gone. Gone forever and no matter how hard they would try, she wasn't going to be coming back.

For the rest, no one knew why Tyler Lockwood was on the list, as far as they knew the two had never even interacted. Nobody knew what had happened to them for him to be number one on this list, everyone but Jeremy, he knew it wasn't his position to speak of that time in her life. It was Elena's, not his.