Future problems? (35)

Start from the beginning

He held the unlit cigarette in one hand while with jerky movements; he took his Zippo lighter out of his pocket and flicked it open. Feeling too damn exposed, he lit his joint and stared at it for a second. Without looking at Jay he barked, “What?”

“Actually, I was lying.”

That brought him to face his cousin. “What?”

“I was kidding. That Boss had his eye on your kitten. But it’s a possibility,” he drawled, sprawling on the bed, looking assured.

Nate glared at him. “You are a jerk you know that? A jerk.”

“Aww. I’m hurt,” Jason said sarcastically. Then his face turned hard. “But you gotta take care of this mess you made.”

“I know. I get it.”

“Fine.” Just then Jason’s phone gave a beep. He scrambled up and shoved his hand into his pocket, fishing out his phone. Flipping it open, he stared intently at the screen and his features pulled into a happy grin. He even chuckled.

“What is it?” asked Nate curiously.

But the guy was typing away, tongue between his teeth as he frowned. “I wonder if it’s right,” he murmured suddenly.

“What?” asked Nate impatiently.

“Huh? Nothing.” And he was back to typing.

“Your girlfriend?” said Nate in a random guess. That made the guy choke.

“NO! She’s not my girlfriend! Just a friend,” Jason shouted, “Besides, she’s still too young.” Then he bit his lip as if he realized that he had given away more than he intended.

"A pedophile now huh?” drawled Nate, sitting down next to Jason as he tried to peep into his phone. “How old is she?”

As Jason pursed his lips, he jogged his shoulder. “Come on man, tell me. 14? 13?”

“Hell no,” muttered Jason. “She’s in high school now.”

“Oooh,” said Nate. “This is rather surprising.”

Jason glared at him before standing up. “I’m gonna go get some privacy.”

Nate rolled his eyes when his phone started to ring. He flipped it open to see that it was his boss.

“Sir?”

“Hand the phone to Agent Wright,” said the crisp voice.

Silently he gave the cell phone to Jason.

“Agent Wright here sir,” he said, turning on his heel to walk out of the room. Nate stepped forward, and patted the guy in the back, mouthing that he’ll be starting work and shut the door softly.

He listened to Jason’s footfalls as they walked towards the stairs and down. Then smiling in victory, he gripped the phone he had pick-pocketed from Jason and sat down on his bed.

Yes, he was nosing into other’s business, but he had a reason. Jason usually told him everything. They were cousins. Like brothers, it was a tight relationship. And to know that the guy was hiding something was so not okay with him.

Opening the flap of the device, he read the message Jay had been typing. A crap load of stuff he didn't understand. It was as if the guy was comforting the sender. Going to the inbox folder, his eyes widened at the number of messages a certain someone had sent him under the name ‘angel’.

Shit.

Curiously, he read the most recent one.

‘Hey Rain. I’m at my friend’s house and we just had a watermelon eating contest. Naturally I won. Here’s a pic.’