His Cure (27)

Chapter 27

“This is bullshit,” he muttered staring at the records in incredulity. Kyle had handed him the summary of the records Ash had sent them last night and now he was finding it hard to believe the information in there.

His eyes scanned the lists and numbers in front of him. Kyle had ordered the data according to the years and the number of children in the orphanage. He had also made a list of the number of admissions and the number of children leaving the orphanage according to the years.

And when calculating them, he realized that a certain number of children were missing. Taking the last year’s records, he perused the numbers and came up with no legal explanation. There had been 486 children inside the orphanage at the beginning of the year. And fifteen children had been admitted to the orphanage since then but the number of children has not increased. 486 children remained 486 to the end of the year though it has been clearly given that had been fifteen new entries.

Either Kyle had done his report wrong or fifteen children were missing. Since the latter was more likely he decided that they had finally found a clue.

Though not an encouraging one. He set himself to the time-consuming task of checking the names of each and every kid.

By the time he had reached the end, his suspicions were confirmed; fifteen names had not appeared in the records of this year. Eleven boys and four girls who had been in the records of last year had not made it into this year. They have apparently disappeared because their names weren’t under the list of the children who left the orphanage this year either. Noting down the names of each child, he sent them to Adam for him to check whether the children had been transferred to another branch.

While he waited for the data, he made lists of the missing children in the years before. Apparently, the missing children agenda started five years ago and this company has been here for twelve years. And it has come to their notice now only. How could this happen?

He frowned at the rows of names he had made. Only two children had gone missing at first. Now it had developed into fifteen. There was no pattern either. There was no gender specified, nor was it because of the ethnicity. There was only one similarity and it was the ages. The children who went missing were around the ages of 12 to 15.

Running away was not an explanation here. It was too ordered for that. And in the cases of siblings, only one of them would be missing. If they had run away, decided Nate, the siblings probably will stay together. So the whole family will have to go missing. But it wasn’t the case here.

“Maybe they were taken away for prostitution? Or slavery?” he wondered out loud. If that was the case, then Happy Kids Orphanages was going to be in big trouble. Nate sat back on the chair and smoked his cigarette for a while. He checked his mails again and saw that Adam had sent him the data. He quickly clicked on the link, and read the contents. Apparently they were not transferred. Which raised the question of what happened to the kids.

Where were they now? What were they doing? When did they disappear? How did they disappear?

He crushed the cigarette on the table, making scorch marks on the table but that didn't bother him. He knew that they had caught the scent now. All they had to do was follow it. It was his responsibility to do it subtly. Raising the alarm to whoever was responsible won’t do any good.

Loud footsteps came down the hallway and stopped in front of his door. He stopped work, listening intently. Then his door banged open.

“Why are you avoiding me Nate?!” cried Cheryl, striding into the room. He groaned. Not again. She had been banging into his room since morning, trying to catch him by surprise, but now he was fed up.