Thoughts (18)

Chapter 18

That did not just happen.

Alexis stared at the kitchen doorway, where Nate passed through. Her hand went up to her neck, and swept down her shoulder. Did he just—no. No. It didn’t happen. She had dreamt it. Somehow, she had day-dreamed in the middle of the process of cleaning up Kyle’s hickey. She must have imagined it, she told herself.

Nate possibly didn’t hold any interest for her, and she had dreamt of it. She dropped the melting ice cube on to the counter, hardly registering her numb fingers and rushed to her room.

She switched the light on, closed the door and peered into the mirror hung on the wall. She lifted her chin, angling her head and squinted at the mirror. Her jaw dropped. It was there. A big, red mark, more vivid than Kyle’s. She shivered slightly.

It had really happened.

She stumbled on to the bed and sat, her knees going weak. It wasn’t a dream. She touched the throbbing skin. It hadn’t hurt either. Unlike Kyle’s. Her insides stared to melt at the thought of Nate doing—ah! She couldn’t think of it! Alex shook her head fast. No. Her heart possibly couldn’t take it all in.

 She stood up and jumped around, trying to release the nervous tingling energy in her. This was getting ridiculous.

“Calm.” She raised her hands in front of her, her palms facing the ground, as if trying to cool a riot.

“Calm down,” she repeated. “So what if he did that? It doesn’t mean anything.” Except for when he said, “I was just reclaiming you.” His voice echoed in her head. She stared at the wall, her jaw slack as she recalled the moments.

“Argh!” This was too confusing! Damn Nate!!!

She kicked the wall. And yelled out, hopping on one foot as she clutched her big toe.

“Dammit!”

She hobbled to her bed and sat again. Then ran her hands through her hair.

What now? What was I supposed to do now? She sighed wistfully. If only Mia was here.

Then she remembered the plan she had made before all the distractions today. A plan she would be able to execute tonight with careful preparation.

If she got lucky.

 ~ 

“This is the staff room. Volunteers who teach the orphanage children rest here,” said Grace, pointing to a door to their right. He could here voices inside.

“The wash rooms.”

Ash nodded. He needed to know where everything was. It might be useful later.

“Here are the class rooms. We teach in the main building while the children sleep in the other two buildings. I presume you saw them when you came here?” she asked from him, her gold-rimmed spectacles glinting under the fluorescent light. There were huge windows in either side of the corridor but presently, they were covered with dark curtains.

Ash nodded and asked, “Don’t you open these windows?”

“Usually we don’t.”

“Why not?”

She looked at him blankly and said, “Never had a reason to.”

Ash nodded again and followed Grace’s wake while he mulled over the fact of closed curtains.