Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten - God Save Us All

          ''Can you drive or not?''

          ''Y—yeah.'' I stutter, seeing him handing me his car keys before walking out of his bedroom with me trailing closely behind him.

          My head turns to face Greta who appears to be understanding of this whole situation as she nods, gesturing for me to take Haden out of this house. It's better to have someone around him rather than him going alone. I immediately run towards Haden who is already standing beside his familiar matte black BMW i8 but as soon as I see him hesitating on whether he should enter the car causes me to stand and mimic his action. ''Get a different car,'' He says.

          ''What?'' I ask, confused.

          Our eyes meet in an instant and by the looks of it, he's this close to throw something straight towards my face but he ignores me by grabbing onto another pair of car keys near one of the cabinets before pressing onto it. Another car lights up, a Ford Mustang and this time, he doesn't seem to hesitate as he enters the car. I follow after, sitting in the driver's seat just seconds before he hands me the keys. ''You want me to drive this car?''

          He scoffs, ''No, we're just going to sit here and stare at one another.''

          Maybe, it's the intensity in his eyes or the amount of anger radiating from him but it's like as if everything he touches would burn into ashes. The way his eyes are currently piercing deeply into my own is causing me to stare back yet I fear he might see through me, all of my secrets and all of my flaws seeping through. ''Yes, for god's sake, I want you to drive this car.''

          ''What if I run into something?''

          ''You won't if you're a good driver.''

          ''I've never drove a Mustang before—''

         ''Belle, just drive!'' He exclaims, pinching the bridge of his nose before turning to look out the window.

         ''Just so you know, I won't take any responsibility if I—''

          He cuts me off, ''—fuck, just drive the fucking car or I'm going to lose my fucking mind!''

          Within seconds, I'm already starting the engine and pressing hard onto the gas pedal. The car accelerates fast with my hands gripping hard onto the steering wheel and my eyes focusing on the road but occasionally glance towards Haden's direction, seeing him looking out the window without being bothered by the speed we're going. My mind wanders off to the place Joanne, Seth and I used to go when we were a freshman and going through a hard time; it'd be best to bring him there.

          Both of us befriends the silence, not wanting to start a conversation.

          I make a quick turn, going down a different road before accelerating in order to reach the exact spot in less than ten minutes. It doesn't take me long to slow the car and park it near the edge, causing Haden to look at me. ''Why are we stopping?''