Chapter Five

Chapter Five - Jasmine Realises The Truth

          Sitting in the library and just staring blankly at my laptop for the past fifteen minutes seem like a draft. The whole atmosphere went from dead quiet to hush whispers and now, people are already walking around muttering words. Even with my earphones plugged in, the shadows and the figures of people walking by here and there bothers me, knowing well how libraries are supposed to be; quiet, relaxing and slow moving. The only think I can come up with is, 'did something happen?' 'is there a fight going on outside?' because for all I know, the students in this university barely has time to finish up their assignments, let alone fight.

          Okay, this is bothering me. A lot.

          I take my earphones off to eavesdrop on the nearest group, hearing them trying to keep their voices down. ''Did you hear?''

          ''People said it happened two weeks ago. A couple of days after the party,'' The other one replies, making me frown in confusion. What exactly happened two weeks ago? Does that mean it happened a couple of days after Valentine's Day? These kind of questions keep appearing in my head like a quest, coming in and in with every second. ''No one has heard from him ever since it happened,''

          ''How could this be?'' One of them slumps, disappointment clearly shown on her face. ''Is he still at the hospital?''

          'That's it.' I thought, packing my books before grabbing onto my laptop and immediately make my way out of the library. This whole confusion has got to stop as I call Joanne, realising she's not picking up her phone and neither does Seth which leads me to walk straight towards the nearest café, knowing I'll find them there. ''There you are!'' I exclaim.

          Their eyes widen at my presence but the shock disappears as soon as I take a seat beside them, ''Why didn't you guys pick up the phone? Clearly, your phones are on the table—are you two planning a plot to ignore me or something?'' I ask, eyebrows furrowed.

          Seth leans back on his seat while Joanne taps her nails on the table, completely leaving me out in the dark. It has been two weeks since the whole chaotic mess at the party but none of us seem to remember much about what happened there except for going there completely sober and ended up getting home completely drunk without knowing who drove us but we let it slip away. None of us wanted to spend time wondering off about what had happened and we clearly moved forward to where we are now.

          ''Seth? Joanne?'' I raise an eyebrow, feeling uncomfortable.

          ''Haven't you heard?'' Joanne leans forward, her eyes staring directly into my own before glancing at Seth for a few seconds.

          ''About . . . what exactly?''

          ''Haden got into a car accident.'' Seth interrupts, causing Joanne to slam her fists on the table and manage to grab a few people's attention but they all turn away after awhile. Both Seth and Joanne keeps on staring at each other as if they despise one another while I shake my head a few times, still feeling lost. It's as if nothing made sense especially about what Seth just said.