Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight - Small Talks, Meaningful Talks

          ''Still here?'' Haden asks, walking further away from me as I turn to look at him.

          ''Still here.''

          It has been exactly two hours since I arrived and we've spent the time ignoring one another. He didn't bother going up the stairs to his room but he kept himself locked in the guest room, hearing him moving around only once in awhile. Even though I'd want to know what he has been doing since I got here, I keep my cool and mind my own business by writing simple notes for my upcoming tests-it's easier for me to read the highlighted parts rather than opening the book itself.

          My eyes wander to his figure, eyeing him from behind as he heads straight towards the fridge in order to get a glass of cold water. Maybe because I have a massive crush on the man in front of me or maybe because he was born beautiful but the sight of him putting the glass near his lips and his jawline becoming more prominent from his head tilting slightly towards the back, it's a sight worth seeing. Makes me wonder if I'm looking like a fool.

          Probably, a fool in love.

          ''Don't you think staring is rude?'' He asks, causing me to immediately look away from him.

          ''C-cold water is not good for you,'' I respond as I try my best to sound calm. ''it'll shrink your blood vessels, your digestion becomes restricted and hydration is hindered.'' Our eyes meet in an instant, the beautiful brown eyes that I've managed to find myself lost in. ''so, your body expends to regulate your body temperature instead. It leads to water loss,''

          The two of us stare at each other without uttering a single word, it's as if everything around us has drifted away and we're left behind. Being able to hold his eye contact for this long is a surprise to me as well because I, for a fact know I'm never brave around him. I'm a coward around Haden Merrick but why am I suddenly filled with courage? Well, courage to withstand our eyes.

          ''Okay.'' He replies, walking away.

          It doesn't take me long to facepalm myself. The facts about cold water wasn't needed in our conversation but I had to blurt it out, like a miserable person who couldn't think of anything better to say. So, turning around to watch him enter the guest room without sparing a second glance towards my direction seems like a sensible thing to do before continuing writing down the notes in my notebook.

          The time passes by quickly as I walk around with the book in my hand, memorising the highlighted parts. Just as I continue pacing back and forth, I hear the doorbell ring which causes me to immediately walk towards the front door-peeking through to find a group of guys, somewhat familiar standing and waiting for someone to open the door. I slowly hide the book behind my back before pulling the door open, catching their attention.