Chapter 35

The Vampire's Sweetheart

Chapter Thirty-Five

Not edited

_________________________________________________________

My eyelids were heavy, but I forced them open and stared at the unfamiliar, black ceiling. My body was covered entirely by a matching black sheet, and I gently attempted to tug it to the side. I heard shuffling and soft hums and lifted my head high enough to see a plump, older woman organizing a shelf, slightly dancing along the floor unaware of my awakening.

I gave a small cough catching her attention as she quickly whirled around, her cheeks tinted red as she stared at me with wide eyes. She quickly dropped the books she was holding and ran out the room faster than humanly possible. I frowned. I sat completely up, the sudden smell of Locaine filling my senses as I scanned what had to be his room.

My mind was boggled. How did I get here? What happened to the chaos? The fighting?

My heart began to race as Locaine quickly rushed into the room, his silver eyes a bit dull and hair wild. His hands were immediately on my face as he began to stare into my eyes before examining my neck. I attempted to push him away, but his hands latched onto my wrists tightly, relief and fear written across his face.

“I’m okay, I promise.” I whispered, he let out a deep breath I had not known he was holding, as he grabbed my head and pulled me towards him. He peppered kisses all around my face, avoiding my lips, before he pulled me against his body completely, hugging me tightly.

“I thought I lost you.” He admitted, his voice deep and tired. My heart ached.

“You didn’t, but who did you lose?” I questioned and felt his body stiffen immediately. He pulled back and began to stare into my eyes once more.

“A good amount of my people, including Raven and Alaric.” My breath caught in my throat.

“Gia?” I whispered, not wanting to know how this loss affected the woman.

Locaine looked broken speaking about his team, his family, “She went rogue, feral. We had to lock her up in the dungeon. Lucky checks on her often, he’s the only one she allows near her. She’s broken.”

I hadn’t realized I was crying until I felt him wipe my face with his rough fingers. “And the others?”

“Demetri suffered little to no injuries, as much as he tries to hide it; their death has taken a toll on him, on all of us. Damion spends his time watching over Zofia, she used too much of her power protecting you, and has been out the same as you. Little Esmerelda has been cooped in her room.”

I shook my head in grief, “How long have I been asleep?”

“Two weeks.” His answer was clipped.

“The war... How did it end?”

“After the werewolf girl- “I stopped him.

“Khai. Her name is Khai. How is she? Where is she? Oh, Xilo. How is Xilo?” I rushed my questions at him.

“She died to save you. She killed Aleksandria with great sacrifice. I would have gladly fought beside her.” He admitted sadly. It was strange seeing so much emotion poor out from the vampire, it was unlike his normal self, I could not help but admire his vulnerability. “Xilo, the girl’s mate, called for all of the wolves to retreat. He carried her home. Her burial was last week.” Furious tears slid down my cheeks.

“The muse, sick woman, left the war smiling completely drenched in blood. She killed the rest of the Valentina Hunters, except for one. Nicholas. Had it been any other one, I would be content. I am afraid, bloodshed is far from over, but right now we can rest.” I shook my head, immediately pushing off the bed. The black cotton pants and black t-shirt hung loosely from my body.

“I have rested far too long. I need- I need to give my condolences to everyone. I need to do something. Something to prove that our friends, their family, did not die in vain. I cannot just sit here and sleep any longer, I need- I need to…” I crashed to the floor as sobs wrecked my body. Locaine’s arms were around me, my body reacting to the familiar warmth.

He held me until I stopped crying and sniffling. I wiped my face and stood on shaky legs. “I need to go speak to them.” He began to walk towards me, and I placed a hand on his chest. “Alone. Take me to them please.” He looked me over something foreign in his gaze, before leading me out the door.

I had been staring at the door leading to the dungeon for an hour. I could not find it in me to open it, to face the miserable, broken girl, whose mate died in a war to protect me. I breathed shakily, before I pushed open the door, the growling growing louder the closer I got to it.

I walked down the cold hall, until I reached the cell that held her. Gia. Her fur was matted and bloody as if she had been gnawing at herself. Her cell reeked terribly, and I stepped a tad closer to it. Gia stalked in a circle snarling and staring at me with an evil glint in her eyes. I slowly got down to my knees, baring my neck towards her in peace.

“Gia.” I began, only to be cut short as she lunged herself at the cell door, her jaw biting onto the iron poles, it was then I noticed she was missing several teeth. I waited until she released the dented pole and stalked away to the back corner of the cell. Her eyes staring me down as if daring me to speak to her.

I lowered my head in defeat. “I am sorry.” She snarled loudly but stayed hunched over in the corner. “I am sorry that you lost your mate and your best friend because of me.” The growls continued, except there was something else besides anger in it. Pain? Hurt? I took this as a sign and raised my head to meet her eyes.

“I am sorry that you lost yourself because of me.” The growling became very faint. “You all deserved to be happy and to be there to witness each other’s happiness, and I took that right from you. From all of you. I did not come here to ask for your forgiveness. I do not deserve it.” Gia gave a huff as if agreeing with me.

“I came here to ask that you forgive yourself.” My words caught her off guard as she stared intently at me, showing no signs of aggression, just pure confusion and pain. “Alaric’s death was not your fault. You need to know this.” Gia sat up and began to move towards me. “I know you plan on dying in here, because you think you deserve it, but you do not and you will not.” I stood up and unhooked the latch that locked the cell door. Gia moved backwards.

“If not for yourself, do it for Raven and Alaric. Live for them, because its what they would want you to.” Gia lowered her head in shame, as she slowly crept towards me, her tail shorter than before. Had she bit part of it off? I stopped her from walking past me and knelt down next to her.

I placed a hand on her head, ignoring her low growls in warning. I rubbed her head gently, “Do not let grief destroy you. I’ve seen what losing someone can do to a person, how it changes them.” Her ears laid flat against her head, “Do not let that light inside of you go out. You are only hurting, because you have not allowed yourself to do anything else. Go celebrate their life, it’s about time you remembered them for how they lived, not how they died.” With my last words, I leaned and kissed her nose gently, risking her biting my face completely off.

Instead, she huffed and whimpered. A wet streak on her fur from her eyes, as she gave me a simple nod before turning down the hall to run into Lucky, who stood there quietly with tear filled eyes. She lifted his hand with her nose and licked it, telling him to follow her and he pat her head.

“Thank you, Nova. I was afraid one day I would come in here and find her dead. I promised to take care of her, but it sounds like you’re going to take care of us.” He looked back at the parting, impatient wolf. “She will never say it out loud, but she thanks you too.” I smiled numbly at him and watched as he guided her out of the cells.

______________________________