Chapter 25 // Edge of Darkness

The week passed far too quickly. I looked across the ground at the visibly reduced snow. I knew the day was approaching – the time when I would have to return to the bridge.  I had to figure out a way to meet Abbadon without Cedric coming with me – there was no way I would be able to leave with him there; it would be too painful to say goodbye. I looked over at Cedric who was asleep on the bed sheets, blankets kicked up at his feet. It was hot inside the room, with the roaring fire and as I looked over his perfect chest and down his lean stomach right to his loose trousers I felt my heart break a little, as if it had been chipped. That was what I was saying good-bye to, what I was going to have to leave… what I was hurting. He snuffled slightly in his sleep and rolled over. I turned my gaze back to looking out the window at the thin flakes of snow they drifted down towards the earth. I could almost feel Abbadon’s cold hands creeping onto my shoulders, ready to pull me back to the Crystal Forest.  If I tried, I could almost see the blue cloak waiting in the trees lining the castle, watching… waiting.

What would I do there? Stand in sadness for years on end until Cedric too joined me. I knew it would be a long time – the Faeris were immortal. Perhaps I would see Claude, or Haiden. At least then I would have someone to talk to. There was a sudden clink like glass hitting stone and I looked over to see my quiver had been knocked over from against the wall. The glass arrow the Pareģis had given me.

Of course – I wouldn’t wait around. I would free myself. I glanced over at Cedric who was now facing me. His face looked so much younger, so much more beautiful when he wasn’t awake, when he was no longer worried for me, or for anyone else.  I wouldn’t tell him about the glass arrow… I couldn’t bear to give him hope like that and have it fail – no… it would be me who beared that pain. I had to be careful – if I touched Abbadon before I stole his power… even the arrow would not save me.

I replaced the quiver back upright and quickly eased myself back into bed, being careful not to wake Cedric. I pulled the sheet up over me and turned my back to him, still staring out the window. Cedric rolled over and wrapped his hands around my waist. A few moments later he murmured in my ears.

“Your feet are cold…” he whispered, “You can’t sleep, can you.” his breath was hot against my skin, yet it sent shivers down my spine. Only he could do this to me. I wasn’t sure I could leave. Maybe Abbadon would be forced to come and take me – drag me kicking and screaming and crying all the way back to the Crystal Forest.

I said none of that to Cedric – my pain and anguish was for me only. He had enough without me expressing my concerns.

“I’m fine…” I whispered. Cedric kissed the back of my neck and stroked my hair from my face. I leant back into his chest, feeling his hot skin through my clothes.

“I’m here.” He whispered, “You’re safe.” I couldn’t bring myself to smile. It was almost a downright lie. I wasn’t safe, and we both knew it.

***

The horses snorted nervously in the snow. I stood at the top of the stairs, wearing men’s trousers and a blouse, my weapons strapped to my body. Cedric was nowhere to be seen. I silently prayed that perhaps plans had changed – he wouldn’t accompany me, I would leave for the bridge alone. It would be easier. Kinder to both of us. Less painful.

But there was the sound of a door opening and I looked up to see a group of people exit the front doors of the castle, Cedric in the lead. I absentmindedly turned the glass arrow over in my hands, appreciating the colour around me. Bright reds, colds, blue, greens, purples. Everything. Cedric’s blond hair glowed softly and his robes were a deep red, as was the custom of royalty. He smiled at me, wrapping his arm around me. We turned to face Bentol and other informers and members of the court.