Chapter 11 // Disguise and Lies - Part II

"You said they have wanted posters of us?" I asked quietly, staring at the open gate to Šventas just beyond the trees. Claude nodded, crouched down beside me. Cedric stood leaning against a tree, listening.

"Yes. So we can't exactly just flounce on in and think that no one will raise the alarm." He grabbed a handful of snow and started packing it into a ball.

"So what now?" I asked, "Do we go in at night? Sneak around? Or do we just fight our way through?"

"Now, now, Irene." Claude said lightly, "No need to get your bloodlust a-pumping. Besides, you have no weapons." He inspected his handiwork, the snow glittering in his hand.

"Weapons are easy enough to come by." I said shortly.

"Personally," Claude said quietly, fixing up a small flaw on the surface of his snow, "I think a more subtle approach would fare well enough. Egg-head!" he called abruptly, throwing the snow at Cedric. It splattered against his chest, dampening his clothes.

"What," Cedric growled, wiping himself down, "Could you possibly want now?" I bit my lip, half wanting to laugh at Cedric, and half wanting to scold Claude.

"You have to ditch those clothes." Claude said, turning away back to Šventas, "Wearing royal wedding robes... it will be sure to catch attention."

"And I suppose walking around naked will draw less attention?" Cedric snapped sarcastically.

"In your case, perhaps." Claude shrugged, "But no. you will be wearing clothes. That I, shall steal for you."

"Oh, Apvidus, save me." Cedric sighed, crossing his arms.

"Claude... where are you going with this?" I asked, "We need a way to go in and scout without being detected. A change of clothes is not going to do that."

"Of course not," Claude snapped, "I'm not an idiot. However, a change of clothes won't hurt. In fact..." he looked me up and down, "You could go for a change of clothes too. I'm surprised you haven't frozen yet." I glanced down at myself – still wearing the clothes I had had on when thrown in jail. I couldn't deny that I was cold, but not freezing. I wondered if it was something to do with the Soul bound to me.

"Okay, so we get changed," I said, playing along, "Then what?"

"Magic." Claude winked.

"Magic?" Cedric asked, "No... enough of magic."

"You wouldn't be alive without it." I said fairly, "Neither would I."

"It seems... so... fickle." Cedric sighed, "Surely there is another way?"

"There is." Claude snapped, "You can stay behind."

***

I pulled at the collar of my dress, feeling the dry rough material scratch my skin. Cedric looked equally uncomfortable in his shirt and trousers, so very different to what he would've been used to wearing. Claude smiled, pleased with himself, not having changed out of his own clothes.

"And why don't you have to get changed?" Cedric growled, tugging his boots on.

"Because my clothes won't draw attention." Claude said simply, "Now. The magic." Cedric cast me a worried look. Claude sighed. "I've been doing this for my entire life," he snapped, "Besides, if anything goes wrong it would probably be an improvement." Cedric rolled his eyes as Claude moved to me first. He tapped a finger on his chin, thinking. "We probably won't have to change too much with you. Perhaps your hair... maybe your nose. Perhaps give you a nice set of pointed ears?"

"Just do it already, Claude." I snapped. He curled his lip into a frown but did as I asked, breathing alien words under his breath as his hands touched my hair, my face, my features. I was careful not to meet his eye as he worked, staring steadily at the tree behind his head.