Chapter 21 // Victory? Or Defeat?

“No…” the word came out of my mouth like a whispered breath of wind. No, it couldn’t be true. I glanced back at Imelda who was grinning at me triumphantly. No, this was just a cruel trick of hers. In a moment this Claude would vanish – just a wicked creation of hers – and then she would crumble to her feet, dead. But as I reached out and touched Claude’s face I knew with horror it was true, “No…” I cried, “Please, no! I didn’t… I wouldn’t… what have I done?”  No, no, no!

“Irene… please…” Claude whispered, holding out his hand, “Take this.” He shoved a scrap of torn paper in my hand. I curled my fingers around it as he coughed violently. When his hand came away from his mouth red, he groaned. I placed a hand on his forehead – he was burning up violently.

His eyes fluttered closed and he went limp, falling onto the ground. His arms were trapped beneath his body awkwardly.

“Claude?” I asked, turning him over, “Claude?!” I shook him roughly, his head lolling on his neck loosely. When he didn’t react I pressed my ear to his chest, listening for a heart-beat. I hugged him tight to my body as I felt a quiet, slow thump-thump.

“Claude, don’t leave me.” I whispered, “Please don’t…” I felt hot tears pour down my face. Imelda chuckled, moving to stand beside me.

“Oh don’t worry; you will soon be reunited with him, Cousin.” She laughed cruelly, but I felt a bubble of confusion. If Claude was dying so quickly… why wasn’t i? Surely I would have lost consciousness by now? I looked up at Imelda angrily. I wouldn’t give her that satisfaction. Never.

“No, no I won’t.” I stood and faced her, anger causing my limbs to tremble. The hot pain I had felt before was already dissipating – I only felt hatred and a fury I had never before experienced. Imelda gave me a shocked glance but soon smoothed her expression over to a mask of nonchalance.

“So the poison isn’t working yet,” she smirked, “Before you know it you will be lying in a shallow grave next to that magician.” I shook my head, colour sparking across my vision. Imelda’s green eyes flashed brightly and suddenly I could see everything with colour again. Behind me I heard Claude utter a soft sigh, almost silent.

“In a few moments he will be dead…” Imelda smiled sweetly, “And then you will die…” she seemed victorious, happy and proud. I balled my hands into fists, fresh blood pouring from the cut in my hand. Pain flared up – I ignored it, shutting it down.

“You’re wrong.” I snarled, “You can’t kill me.”

“Oh can’t i?” Imelda asked, raising her eyebrows. She drew a blade from within her skirts and pressed the point of it gently against my skin – almost tenderly. As I breathed slowly, carefully, she moved the blade down over my chest until it was right next to my heart.

“You seem very certain.” She breathed in my ear, “How?” I just stared blankly at her as Abbadon’s words echoed in my head.

“It will have you stay halfway between Life and Death. You cannot be killed through physical means unless I decide I wish to end it…” she smirked and drew the blade back slightly. Its tip gleamed darkly and flashed silver as it plunged its way deep into my chest. I couldn’t tell if it had hit anything vital, if I actually would die – but I could feel icy, burning pain where the blade had sunk through my skin. My heart was racing in my chest, but beside the pain I felt not swift change in my body. I didn’t even feel unsteady on my feet. It was an odd and surreal sensation, to have a knife embedded in my chest and yet not be in immediate danger. Imelda gasped and pulled the blade back out with an awful sucking sound. Ruby droplets of blood clung to the steel. I put effort into my face to keep it smooth. If I gave away I could feel pain I feared to know what she would do.