Chapter 12 // Towers Tall, Dungeons Deep

Claude didn't stop walking until we had marched past the city gates. I glanced back at the guards to see unfamiliar faces – the guard had changed in the last few hours. Behind them the sky was growing dark, the clouds swelling with what undoubtedly would be more snow.

I could feel my features start to change, like an itch under my skin. I watched as Cedric's hair was drained of colour once more, and in front of my Claude's hair grew out and was stained black. I ran my fingers through my hair, looking down at the white colour fading. I touched my face – my nose was back to its normal shape, and my lips felt like mine once more. I was thankful for the trees shielding our changes – no doubt it would've raised the alarm had the guards witnessed it.

"The tower is at the centre of the city." Claude said, abruptly turning to face us, "No doubt it will be highly guarded. But if we try a stealthy approach we should be able to sneak in without too much trouble."

"But what if things go wrong?" I asked, "We have no weapons." I felt naked going into a mission like this without my bow on my back. "We should at least scrounge up some knives."

"You have no weapons." Claude grinned, "I happen to have my pistol. And my knife." He pulled up his shirt to show the butt of his pistol poking out from his trouser waist-band. "However, finding you a bow shouldn't be too difficult..." he trailed off, his brow furrowing.

"What?" I asked, feeling warmth flush my cheeks. Was something on my face? Was my nose not exactly as it had been? I touched my face, fingers feeling a familiar landscape – no, it seemed right. So why was he staring at me so?

"Your ears." Cedric breathed, his hand reaching to brush my hair away. My hand moved to touch them and I felt the tips, still tapered to points.

"Claude?" I growled, "Why... why haven't they changed back?" his eyes were wide and genuinely surprised.

"I... I don't know." He gaped like a fish, "I mean... the rest of your changes have disappeared... I can't understand why that one wouldn't...?"

"I like it." Cedric interrupted.

"Well of course you do," Claude snapped, "Now she looks more like one of you."

"And what's so wrong about that?" Cedric shot back, his eyes flashing, "Besides she is one of us!"

"Only half so." I whispered, fingers still hovering on my ears. They hadn't changed back? I was stuck looking like this. "Claude, fix this." I ordered, "I... I don't want to..." Cedric's face flashed with pain. I felt guilt but didn't meet his eyes.

"Irene, I don't know..." Claude started, "I mean... it makes sense, don't you think?"

"Excuse me?" I snapped, "Your magic going wrong makes sense? That's a good catchline to inspire confidence."

"No I understand." Cedric said slowly, "He's... he's right."

"You're taking his side?" I cried. What a time for them to become chummy.

"No... you're a Halfling. Half Fae."

"And half elf..." I breathed.

"I wondered why you looked so human if you have no human blood." Claude picked up, "I mean, shouldn't you have had ears like the rest of them?"

"So your magic... what?"

"I think I might have undone perhaps an old spell?" Claude mused, "Were either of your parents magic... what am I thinking, of course they both were."

"They were disguised as humans." I nodded, "I suppose... they could've disguised me as one too."

"And now you've gone and undone it." Cedric finished.