nine

chapter nine

i stomped through the halls, ignoring loren asking me what on earth i was wearing and why i hadn't picked her up this morning. i was already late to first period; it was okay for her, she was pretty and could pull the best puppy-eyes in the world, teachers let her get away with everything. i stared down at my clothes, shrugging into my black sweater, the one i normally wore to bed. there was no designer label on, it had cost me 15$ online. paired with it was skinny black jeans, still calvin klein but the label was hidden by the oversized jumper that fell down to below my crotch.

i felt this sudden wave of anxiety wash over me, because – even though it was just a dream – i had been unfaithful to her and kissed shane last night. it felt different to any kiss i'd ever had with loren. instead of being short and slightly awkward, it was long and passionate. he had fallen back onto the grass and pulled me along with him, my legs wrapped tightly around his waist as our lips fought for dominance. i had awoken after what felt like hours of kissing, my alarm rudely awakening me from my slumber.

so, since then, all i could think about was him and i'd only been awake for two hours. it was just gone 9am and i already couldn't wait to crawl back into bed. but no, i had promised myself, as instructed by garrett, to not let this over take real life. our heart to heart on the field had ended up a lot more in depth than i initially expected. and, when the words had fallen out of my mouth about my supposed feelings for shane, he had sat down on the grass next to me and asked me to tell him everything.

so, much to both of our surprises, i told him what that had happened. everything about shane, each little flutter in my heart, all of the emotions that filtered through me when we were close. the blonde boy had sat, open mouthed, lapping up every detail that spilled out of me. he was intrigued with the whole situation, asking me if i had ever felt like this about a boy before.

after shaking my head, he seemed hesitant to say the next thing on his tongue. have you ever felt that way for a girl, he had probed, making my heart rise to my mouth because i knew the what the answer was but i didn't want to admit it. no, i had whispered in return, and soon i felt his strong arms wrapped tightly around mine.

since that moment, i had decided that garrett would be the one and the only one who knew about this. instead of turning the corner to my class room, i stopped earlier, much to loren's confusion. 'what are you doing? we're going to be late!' she exclaimed.

i ignored her, anxiety crawling up my throat as i stormed into the room, spotting the familiar boy in the front row. he stumbled as i grabbed his arm and pulled him out the class, much to his teachers protests. with one look, though, mr piper stopped his cries. everyone that worked here knew that my father was the main investor for the school, and that i could get anyone fired with one simple text.

'ryland, what are you doing?' garrett giggled, grinning at loren, who scowled back at the two of us. i looked at him carefully and he clearly understood, shutting up as i muttered something incoherent to loren and following me out the school. 'why are we going to the car park?' he asked innocently, blinking in confusion.

i smirked at his naive expression. 'ever been in a lamborghini before?' i questioned, and his eyes lit up. yes, i had taken my dads car to school today. he was in france with my mother, no one would know. i laughed as he shook his head, practically bounding towards the sleek red sports car. the lights lit up as i opened the doors with the clicker, and garrett hopped into the black leather, rambling at one hundred miles per hour about how gorgeous it was.

'so, starbucks?' i continued, and his wide smile made me clear of the answer as i started the ignition. the car roared to life as we pulled out the parking lot, leaving school behind us.