But The Question Is...

7

"Yes."

I was never one to say 'no' to people, other than my obnoxious brother. I felt like I had absolutely no choice. I couldn't leave him standing there with the rose in hand.

Besides this is the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for me. But something felt wrong. Like everything but my heart said yes, my heart was screaming 'turn back!'

Tray sprints towards me and wraps his arms around my torso. He smells of something sweet, like sugar. He hands me the beautiful rose and I stare at it in complete and utter awe.

None of the petals were even the slightest wrinkled. The white is bold and stunning, truly magnificent.

"Congratulations little sis!" I turn to see half the school crowded around the ginormous banner. Some students were recording others were just smiling and enjoying the show. In the sea of students, only one stud out to me though.

Kane stares at me with furious eyes. His jaw is noticeable clenched, his hands are so balled up on his sides that his knuckles were slightly white. A rush of guilt races over me like a million little ants biting on my skin, I don't like feeling this way.

Kane turns the other direction and I could see his tense back leave the room. While Tray was speaking to a couple of his friends, I escaped to look for Kane.

I make my way outside after searching inside for the last ten minutes. Turning a corner, I spot Kane on a bench smoking a cigarette, deep in his thoughts.

Without a word I take a seat next to him and stare out into the busy roads, watching the variety of colors race in motion.

"Do you like him?" Kane randomly murmurs after a couple of minutes of quietness.

"I mean he is a great guy-" I begin.

"Quinn yes or no do you like him?" I could tell Kane was getting annoyed, desperate to hear my answer.

"No." I whisper mostly to myself, admitting that I have absolutely no want to become anything more than friends with Tray.

"Then why are you doing this?" He asks, turning to look at me with furrowed brows.

"Because I can't say no to him Kane. He's sweet and gentle, and honestly the best thing for me right now." I admit, knowing that my words are of truth and all honesty.

"But that doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have feelings for him-" he's interrupted by the noise of my loud alarm from my phone, signaling the start of my first class.

"I have to go."

***

I've been trying to dodge Tyler, Kane, and Tray. It's been like running barefoot through hell. But now I'm afraid I cannot hide for long. It's my last class of the day, cooking class, and I've been dreading this moment ever since this morning.

I walk into class holding my recipe books. I make my way to my assigned seat, next to Kane who hasn't looked up from his empty bowl.

"Okay class, today's task is to make a meal. You'll pick out from my hat what category you'll be assigned. You and your partner will have to create it in the next hour and twenty minutes. This is a grade so I hope you put in a lot of effort. At the end I'll pick the best tasting and looking meals!" the chef announced, going around with a black top hat so students may pick out their category.

When the chef makes it to our table I grab a piece of paper from inside the hat. The paper says 'breakfast', this shouldn't be too hard.

I look over at Kane who is still staring at the plastic bowl sitting in front of him like it's the most interesting thing he's ever seen.

Clearing my throat, I mumble, "our category is breakfast, what should we make?"

Kane finally looks up at me for the first time since I got here. I try to search in his Indigo eyes for any sort of emotion or feeling but there is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

"I'll make blueberry pancakes while you make the eggs," he ties his apron on and looks for a whisk in the bottom drawers of the cabinets, "you think you can handle that?"

"I guess." I mumble before grabbing a bowl and a couple of eggs from the fridge next to the oven.

I crack three eggs into the metal bowl and add just a hint of salt and vinegar. When I'm done mixing the concoction with a whisk, I place it into the pot which I thankfully remembered to preheat.

Making scrambled eggs was truly the only thing I actually know how to make. It doesn't have too many instructions and it's pretty straightforward.

When the eggs are ready I place them neatly on a neon green plate leaving space for the blueberry pancakes Kane was currently finishing up on.

Kane organizes our meal neatly on the plate making it presentable for the judge. Kane covered the pancakes with maple syrup making a zigzag pattern.

Turns out me and Kane had won first place of the contest. Who knew two people, who are currently going through some issues, could actually make a good team.

"Your pancakes were amazing." I said, tugging a stand of my loose hair to the back of my ear.

"Your eggs weren't too shabby either." he playfully teases, winking at me. I softly punch his forearm and we both begin to giggle and laugh. After a little while we both calm down and begin to get lost into each others eyes. I could see the different shades of blues in his eyes. The slight grey that imitates, I could finally see something. Something I certainly wasn't expecting, I saw lust.

"I really like you Quinn." those words flew into my ear and it took a while for me to fully process what just came out of Kane's mouth. How could a god like him possibly like me, a hideous cow?

Surely this is a prank or some sick joke because I'm pretty sure I'm not in anyway possible his type. He likes skinny blondes with perfect tans and manicured nails, I'm the complete opposite. I've got too many curves and my hair is as dark as night.

But the question is...

What am I going to do?

〰️〰️〰️

Edited 7/29/30