And the Lies Build

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.

Buddha

-Harry-

Her question bounced around in my mind like a ping pong ball. Back and forth, back and forth. I took a step away from the two of them, my face registering shock. Would she really have me expelled and arrested? Of course she would she's insane.

"What happened to you?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"Nothing." She said simply. She flashed me a killer grin and said, "But if you don't want anyone to know what happened today, then we should get back together, and you will take me to prom. We will get elected as king and queen and have our picture in the yearbook. " She said it simply, expecting it to happen.

"But what if I don't want to?" I countered and she threw her head back in laughter.

"If you don't, I think we all know what will happen." She said squinting her eyes in an evil way.

"Fine I'll do it." But then I turned to Sophie and mouthed 'I'm sorry'. Then I turned back to Sarah, "Just leave her alone will you." She nodded her head and an evil grin spread over her red lips.

"Let's go." She said, grabbing my arm.

-Sophie-

When Harry came in I was sohopeful and part of me was lifted. I couldn't believe he was here. He was going to save me. He was going to confess that he really liked me. Who was I kidding, he just felt bad for me. I watched them walk out of the bathroom, hand in hand. But something unexpected happened. Harry turned around and looked back at me. His eyes were full of sadness and something I had never seen before. From anyone but my mother. Love. Love was in his eyes. Real love. For the second time in the past twenty minutes, I felt excited, happy even. It was something I hadn't felt in so long. Happiness, sweet to my lips. At that moment I didn't care about anything that had happened in the past ten years. I only cared about what just happened. I walked out of the bathroom a few minutes later with a wide grin spread over my lips. The rest of the day was a blur of people and faces. Hellos and goodbyes were exchanged. A flurry of people whom I had never even talked to, seemed to notice me today. Maybe it was the ounce of confidence I was feeling, or maybe it was the fact Harry was seen not being mean to me for first time in years. When I got home that day I said hello to my father and he looked surprised, because I never did that.

"Uh, Hey honey." He said confused.

I continued up to my bedroom and immediately grabbed the box under my bed. This time around when I looked at them, I saw things the way they used to be. Not the way they are. I was smiling and my stomach was fluttering with butterflies. I was stroking our immortalized faces. Our young, innocent faces. Best friends forever. I smiled sweetly to myself. My heart was warm in my chest, and for once in a long time I was glad it was beating..

-Harry-

I turned around one last time to see her face. Her face lit up, as I realized I was letting my true emotions show. Seeing her look so happy made the whole predicament easier. All the anger and confusion I was feeling faded when I saw her smile at me. Her smile was like the sun. Everyday without it was cold and unloved. Unnurtured by her beautiful smile. There were these moments when I just really loved her. Like sometimes in class she would look down at her paper and her beautiful, auburn hair would fall over her face and she would push it back smiling. She was just so cute. I can't stand it. Her perfection. But then I felt Sarah's cold fingers grip my bicep as she pulled me forward.

"Act like nothing happened." She hissed into my ear. Believe me, I will. I thought mentally. She went about the rest of the day telling everyone we got in a fight, but everything was okay now. What did she have to gain from this..?