Shoji's Past (Shoji's pov.)

---Flashback to 10 years ago---

"Haha!!" a group of boys laughed at me as I got pushed to the ground. I was trying so hard not to cry, and wiped the dirt off my chin. Covered in scratches and bruises from other encounters, my parents secretly decided to move north. Of course, they didn't want me knowing, but I had found out anyways.

"I bet he can't even use his magic to lift a leaf!" one boy exclaimed.

"He's so weak," another said.

"Pathetic," a third said.

"Shut up!" someone shouted, running over and hitting some of the boys. "Get away from him!" The group stared at him, and one of them made a loud yipping noise.

"It's Leopold Vermillion!" he said. The other boys started to inch away, then turn tailed and ran as fast as they could. Leopold was panting, glaring at the group's backs. I managed to get to my feet alright, but it seemed like my ankle got sprained when they pushed me.

"Ow." The small noise escaped my mouth, making Leopold look at me.

"You're ankle," he said, bending over and examining it. "Look's like it's badly sprained. Can you walk?" I tried walking and fell over. But it wasn't just my ankle that was injured. I felt the back of my head, and then looked at my hand. Sticky red blood covered it.

"Mo...m," I managed to say before passing out.

I awoke with immense pain coming from my ankle and head at the same time. I screamed loudly and thrashed about. I heard some crashing noise, and some grunting when my right foot and right arm made contact. People started shouting things and I was forced back into a slumber.

My eyes fluttered open and I stared at a ceiling. Sitting up, I felt completely healed. Just then the door burst open and two boys came inside.

"Leopold!" the taller, older looking boy said. "You'll wake him!"

"I just wanted to check on him!" the shorter, younger one exclaimed. "And why are you coming back? I though he already kicked you!"

"Oh," I said, drawing their attention towards me. "You're the one who saved me earlier."

"Introduce yourself, Leopold," the first boy said.

"Oh!" Leopold came over to the side of my bed and grinned at me. "My name is Leopold Vermillion. That guy over there is my older brother, Fuegoreon."

"I'm Shoji Yangi," I said. I then swung my legs out from under the covers and stood up. I was wearing different clothing, and Leopold seemed to notice my face.

"You're clothes are getting fixed," he said. "You've been asleep for about a hour while your wounds healed. You should be able to go home soon. It is starting to get a little late." I looked outside and saw the sky was a beautiful sunset color.

"Thank you," I said, bowing to the two. Leopold grinned. He came over and put his arm around me.

"I like you, kid!" he said. "Although, you did kick Fuegoreon really hard."

"Leopold!" Fuegoreon scolded his brother. "I told you not to tell him that!"

"It's fine," I said, smiling.

"Come on, Shoji!" Leopold said, taking my wrist and pulling me towards the door. "Let's go play!"

"Come back soon, Leopold," Fuegoreon called after us. I followed Leopold through the large mansion they were currently inside. I completely lost track of where we were going, and the next thing I knew, the two of us were outside.

At the end of the visit, I did end up telling Leopold I was moving the next week. Leopold gave me a ring he had, saying it was a token of our newborn friendship. When I left the next week, Leopold and Fuegoreon both saw me off. My parents talked to Fuegoreon for a while, and Leopold hugged me for a long time.

I didn't notice, but the ring slowly slipped off my finger.

---Flashback end---

"Now do you remember?" Leopold asked.

"Yep," I groaned. "How could I have forgotten? And who would've though I kicked my present captain?" Leopold laughed.

"Well I was the one who told Fuegoreon during the exam," Leopold said. I gave him a blank stare. "I pointed you out and said 'that's Shoji Yangi, my friend from 10 years ago.' He then immediately knew he was going to put his hand up for you."

"Oh is that so?" I asked. "Isn't that like cheating?"

"It's fine," Leopold said, waving his hand. "Fuegoreon didn't choose you because of the past. After Fuegoreon saw your power, he knew you were a good mage."

"I️ feel honored," I️ said, yawning.

"It's getting late," Leopold said. "We should get some sleep."

"Yeah," I said as we both got up. We walked to the barracks, silence following us. I️ stopped at my door, and turned to Leopold. "Goodnight, Leopold."

"Oh wait, Shoji," Leopold said, rummaging in his pocket for something. "Give me your right hand." I️ put my right hand up, and Leopold slid a ring on my ring finger.

"This is-" I️ started.

"It's the ring you dropped the day you left," Leopold said. "I've held onto it, hoping that we would meet again some day. My wish came true." I️ held my hand up to the moonlight filtering through the windows, smiling.

"Thanks, Leopold," I️ said, opening the door to my room and walking inside. "See you tomorrow."

"Goodnight, Shoji," Leopold said as the door clicked shut.

Nozomi Amachi(16) - Light Magic, Healing Magic - Black Bull

Nanami Amachi(15) - Lightning Magic, Healing Magic, Ice Magic - Golden Dawn

Shoji Yangi(15) - Wind Magic, Creation Magic - Crimson Lion

Asta(16) - ??? - Black Bull

Yuno(16) - Wind Magic, Creation Magic - Golden Dawn

Captain Yami Sukehiro(29) - ??? - Black Bull

Finral Roulacase(22) - Spacial Magic - Black Bull

Hayami Aikyo(15) - Tree Magic, Reinforcement Magic - Black Bull

Luck Voltia(19) - Lighting Magic, Creation Magic - Black Bull

Magna Swing(19) - ??? - Black Bull

Noelle Silva(16) - ??? - Black Bull

Vanessa Enoteca(25) - ??? - Black Bull

Gordon Agrippa(27) - ??? - Black Bull

Gauche Adlai(20) - ??? - Black Bull

Charmy Pappitson(20) - ??? - Black Bull

Grey(25) - ??? - Black Bull

Captain William Vangeance(27) - ??? - Golden Dawn

Keiko Akizawa(15) - Flame Magic, Healing Magic - Crimson Lion

Leopold Vermillion(17) - Fire Magic - Crimson Lion

Kouki Chitose(17) - Water Magic - Golden Dawn

Captain Fuegoreon Vermillion(20) - Fire Magic, Creation Magic, Restraining Magic - Crimson Lion